Stuttering

Jim M0CKE

Video of stuttering and how this is affected by enabling or disabling the VB-Audio virtual cable output in sound recording

Jim M0CKE

Simon Brown

So,

This is an issue with VB Audio? If so there’s little I can do without a logfile.

It really helps me if you only post a screenshot as an attachment and a logfile. Videos can help but I continually ask for a screenshot as it takes only a few seconds for users to add to a posting and it shows me lots of info; when more is needed then the logfile helps.

Please see: http://www.sdr-radio.com/Support

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim M0CKE
Sent: 05 April 2018 22:50
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] Stuttering

Video of stuttering and how this is affected by enabling or disabling the VB-Audio virtual cable output in sound recording

Jim M0CKE

Jim M0CKE

Hi Simon

No the VB audio driver is a work around .. without the driver installed we have the problem with no way of getting clean, unstuttered audio .. if we install the VB Audio driver and set as shown this gives us a work around for now. 

Im trying to assist here with a well known problem. I offered team viewer access so you can log in and see first hand, grab logs if required .. this is all for the development of the software.

I Will read the support file and try to send what you require

Jim M0CKE

Sent from Samsung Mobile on O2

-------- Original message --------
Date: 06/04/2018 07:25 (GMT+00:00)
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Stuttering

So,

This is an issue with VB Audio? If so there’s little I can do without a logfile.

It really helps me if you only post a screenshot as an attachment and a logfile. Videos can help but I continually ask for a screenshot as it takes only a few seconds for users to add to a posting and it shows me lots of info; when more is needed then the logfile helps.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim M0CKE

Jim M0CKE

Jim M0CKE

Hi Simon

See attached log files, one with the VB-Audio disabled and getting stutter, the other with VB-radio enabled and no stutter

Also screen shot with stutter

Jim M0CKE

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On 6 April 2018 at 07:25, Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:

So,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Jim M0CKE

Jim M0CKE

Ive captured another 2 log files from software startup, one with stutter, the other without

On 6 April 2018 at 07:43, Jim M0CKE <makidoja@...> wrote:
Hi Simon

See attached log files, one with the VB-Audio disabled and getting stutter, the other with VB-radio enabled and no stutter

Jim M0CKE

So,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Jim M0CKE

Jim M0CKE

And another log file from software start up using the GELI server, with VB- Audio disabled and no stutter.

I hope these are useful

If you require any more tests let me know, I am more than willing to help here.

Off to work, back this evening :)

Jim M0CKE

On 6 April 2018 at 07:55, Jim M0CKE <makidoja@...> wrote:
Ive captured another 2 log files from software startup, one with stutter, the other without

On 6 April 2018 at 07:43, Jim M0CKE <makidoja@...> wrote:
Hi Simon

Jim M0CKE

So,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Jim M0CKE

Simon Brown

Jim,

Let’s take this slowly, I’m being a bit overloaded with logfiles and other feedback.

1. Using a basic system connected to a remote server and listening to the audio through a loudspeaker do you have stutter?
  2. I am unclear as to the relevance of VB-Audio when using a remote server, what are you using this for?
  3. If I understand your postings correctly, having VB Audio installed but not in use creates stutter, is this correct?

I’ll ask for a specific logfile once I’m clear about the configuration.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Sent: 06 April 2018 07:37

Hi Simon

No the VB audio driver is a work around .. without the driver installed we have the problem with no way of getting clean, unstuttered audio .. if we install the VB Audio driver and set as shown this gives us a work around for now. 

Im trying to assist here with a well known problem. I offered team viewer access so you can log in and see first hand, grab logs if required .. this is all for the development of the software.

Jim M0CKE

Jim M0CKE

1. Yes with basic install some remote servers stutter, however yours does not .. VB-Audio not installed only the windows sound driver

2. Installing VB-Audio, as advised by other users on the forum and setting as described, stops the stutter and every remote server works flawless.

3. The stutter is there if VB-Audio is not installed OR installed but not active. 

So basically having a basic system with SDRv3 i have stutter on some remote stations. Installing VB-Audio and setting the record to active makes the audio work perfectly.

Jim

Date: 06/04/2018 08:12 (GMT+00:00)

Jim,

Let’s take this slowly, I’m being a bit overloaded with logfiles and other feedback.

1. Using a basic system connected to a remote server and listening to the audio through a loudspeaker do you have stutter?
  2. I am unclear as to the relevance of VB-Audio when using a remote server, what are you using this for?
  3. If I understand your postings correctly, having VB Audio installed but not in use creates stutter, is this correct?

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Hi Simon

Jim M0CKE

Simon Brown

Thanks,

A Clear explanation. Now I know the logfile info I need later.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Sent: 06 April 2018 09:16

1. Yes with basic install some remote servers stutter, however yours does not .. VB-Audio not installed only the windows sound driver

2. Installing VB-Audio, as advised by other users on the forum and setting as described, stops the stutter and every remote server works flawless.

3. The stutter is there if VB-Audio is not installed OR installed but not active. 

So basically having a basic system with SDRv3 i have stutter on some remote stations. Installing VB-Audio and setting the record to active makes the audio work perfectly.

Jim

Jim,

1.       Using a basic system connected to a remote server and listening to the audio through a loudspeaker do you have stutter?

2.       I am unclear as to the relevance of VB-Audio when using a remote server, what are you using this for?

3.       If I understand your postings correctly, having VB Audio installed but not in use creates stutter, is this correct?

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Hi Simon

Jim M0CKE

Jim M0CKE

No problem pleased to help

Jim

Date: 06/04/2018 09:42 (GMT+00:00)

Thanks,

A Clear explanation. Now I know the logfile info I need later.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Sent: 06 April 2018 09:16

Jim

Jim,

1.       Using a basic system connected to a remote server and listening to the audio through a loudspeaker do you have stutter?

2.       I am unclear as to the relevance of VB-Audio when using a remote server, what are you using this for?

3.       If I understand your postings correctly, having VB Audio installed but not in use creates stutter, is this correct?

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Hi Simon

Jim M0CKE

Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU

Jim,

Can you test my SDRPlay RSP1 server (KA1GJU)? When I access it via the server from my LAN, I also get stuttering. I have 4 other servers within my LAN (AirspyHF+, and SDR-iq's #1 thru 3) that operate just fine. The connection from SDRPlay server as well as my station computer are all hard wired ethernet connections to the ISP router. The AirspyHF and SDR-iq#1 are also hardwired. SDR-iq's #2&3 are actually on the network via Wifi the last 130'.

When I operate the SDRplay via its server, from the computer hosting it, it works fine. As does operating it directly from SDRC.

But when I go out to the main operating station computer, and access it, even at different bandwidths and buffering values, it still stutters.
I've learned just not to use it from within the LAN.

Do you get the same issue?

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Max Mucci, N5NHJ

Hello Simon,
I mention this issue some weeks ago. The VB is not the only work around. In my case, installing SDR# worked as well.
This is what I wrote:

Here we go with another super strange behavior.
I checked on this with several different machines, so it should be easy to reproduce.
I have the HF+ connected remotely.
If I connect to the server from any machine without any previous installation of the HF+, so, no drivers, I get a very chopping audio.
Looking at the server status, I get a very high RTT (7000ms).
If I just run SDR# without starting the radio, everything works fine, RTT is 5ms and audio is perfect.
Screenshots attached.

----------------------
73 de Max, N5NHJ (I8NHJ)

Friday, April 6, 2018, 7:12:20 AM, you wrote:

Jim,

Using a basic system connected to a remote server and listening to
the audio through a loudspeaker do you have stutter?I am unclear as
to the relevance of VB-Audio when using a remote server, what are
you using this for?If I understand your postings correctly, having
VB Audio installed but not in use creates stutter, is this correct?

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Hi Simon

No the VB audio driver is a work around .. without the driver
installed we have the problem with no way of getting clean,
unstuttered audio .. if we install the VB Audio driver and set as
shown this gives us a work around for now. 

Im trying to assist here with a well known problem. I offered team
viewer access so you can log in and see first hand, grab logs if
required .. this is all for the development of the software.

Jim M0CKE

Simon Brown

Hi Max,

Please send me two logfiles 1) With Stutter, 2) Without stutter using the same soundcard for audio and the same remote server.

This has to be simple, has to be. Like the programmer…

Simon Brown, G4ELI

www.sdr-radio.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Max Mucci, N5NHJ via Groups.Io
Sent: 06 April 2018 13:31

Hello Simon,

I mention this issue some weeks ago. The VB is not the only work around. In my case, installing SDR# worked as well.

This is what I wrote:

>> Here we go with another super strange behavior.

>> I checked on this with several different machines, so it should be easy to reproduce.

>> I have the HF+ connected remotely.

>> If I connect to the server from any machine without any previous installation of the HF+, so, no drivers, I get a very chopping audio.

>> Looking at the server status, I get  a very high RTT (7000ms).

>> If I just run SDR# without starting the radio, everything works fine, RTT is 5ms and audio is perfect.

Screenshots attached.

----------------------

73 de Max, N5NHJ (I8NHJ)

> Jim,

>  

> Let’s take this slowly, I’m being a bit overloaded with logfiles and other feedback.

>  

> Using a basic system connected to a remote server and listening to the

> audio through a loudspeaker do you have stutter?I am unclear as to the

> relevance of VB-Audio when using a remote server, what are you using

> this for?If I understand your postings correctly, having VB Audio

> installed but not in use creates stutter, is this correct?

>  

> I’ll ask for a specific logfile once I’m clear about the configuration.

>  

> Simon Brown, G4ELI

> www.sdr-radio.com

>  

>  

> From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of

> Jim M0CKE

> Sent: 06 April 2018 07:37

> To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io

> Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Stuttering

>  

> Hi Simon

>  

> No the VB audio driver is a work around .. without the driver

> installed we have the problem with no way of getting clean,

> unstuttered audio .. if we install the VB Audio driver and set as

> shown this gives us a work around for now.

>  

> Im trying to assist here with a well known problem. I offered team

> viewer access so you can log in and see first hand, grab logs if

> required .. this is all for the development of the software.

>  

> I Will read the support file and try to send what you require

>  

> Jim M0CKE

Max Mucci, N5NHJ

Hello Simon,
Here you go.
In this example the network connection is on my internal LAN, so no internet involved here.

----------------------
73 de Max, N5NHJ (I8NHJ)

Friday, April 6, 2018, 7:36:17 AM, you wrote:

Hi Max,

Please send me two logfiles 1) With Stutter, 2) Without stutter
using the same soundcard for audio and the same remote server.

Create the logfiles after starting the remote server:
http://www.sdr-radio.com/Support#LogfileAttach to your reply.

This has to be simple, has to be. Like the programmer…

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Max Mucci, N5NHJ via Groups.Io
Sent: 06 April 2018 13:31
To: main@...

Hello Simon,
I mention this issue some weeks ago. The VB is not the only work
around. In my case, installing SDR# worked as well.
This is what I wrote:

Here we go with another super strange behavior.
I checked on this with several different machines, so it should be easy to reproduce.
I have the HF+ connected remotely.
If I connect to the server from any machine without any previous installation of the HF+, so, no drivers, I get a very chopping audio.
Looking at the server status, I get  a very high RTT (7000ms).
If I just run SDR# without starting the radio, everything works fine, RTT is 5ms and audio is perfect.

Screenshots attached.

----------------------
73 de Max, N5NHJ (I8NHJ)

Jim,

Using a basic system connected to a remote server and listening to the
audio through a loudspeaker do you have stutter?I am unclear as to the
relevance of VB-Audio when using a remote server, what are you using
this for?If I understand your postings correctly, having VB Audio
installed but not in use creates stutter, is this correct?

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of
Jim M0CKE

Hi Simon

No the VB audio driver is a work around .. without the driver
installed we have the problem with no way of getting clean,
unstuttered audio .. if we install the VB Audio driver and set as
shown this gives us a work around for now.

Im trying to assist here with a well known problem. I offered team
viewer access so you can log in and see first hand, grab logs if
required .. this is all for the development of the software.

Jim M0CKE

Garden Troll <jefferylegere@...>

Stuttering only at 1mhz bandwidth. 500khz and below was smooth

------ Original Message ------
Sent: 4/6/2018 6:32:10 AM

Jim,

Can you test my SDRPlay RSP1 server (KA1GJU)? When I access it via the server from my LAN, I also get stuttering. I have 4 other servers within my LAN (AirspyHF+, and SDR-iq's #1 thru 3) that operate just fine. The connection from SDRPlay server as well as my station computer are all hard wired ethernet connections to the ISP router. The AirspyHF and SDR-iq#1 are also hardwired. SDR-iq's #2&3 are actually on the network via Wifi the last 130'.

When I operate the SDRplay via its server, from the computer hosting it, it works fine. As does operating it directly from SDRC.

But when I go out to the main operating station computer, and access it, even at different bandwidths and buffering values, it still stutters.
I've learned just not to use it from within the LAN.

Do you get the same issue?

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Simon Brown

Ah,

Sorry - my request was confusing, mea culpa. Please show me the Console logs, thanks.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Sent: 06 April 2018 15:43

Hello Simon,
Here you go.
In this example the network connection is on my internal LAN, so no internet involved here.

Max Mucci, N5NHJ

No problem, here you go again.

----------------------
73 de Max, N5NHJ (I8NHJ)

Friday, April 6, 2018, 2:06:40 PM, you wrote:

Ah,
Sorry - my request was confusing, mea culpa. Please show me the Console logs, thanks.
Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Sent: 06 April 2018 15:43
Hello Simon,
Here you go.

Jim M0CKE

HI Simon

A different laptop, not had VB-Audio installed at all, Installed latest SDR Radio v3.

A WAN connection to G4ELI server does not stutter - Log of this attached
A WAN connection to KA1GJU server stutters - Log of this and screen grab attached

Jim M0CKE

On 6 April 2018 at 07:36, Jim M0CKE <makidoja@...> wrote:
Hi Simon

Jim M0CKE

So,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Jim M0CKE

Simon Brown

Hi Jim,

What I want to do is find out why VB Audio or SDR# affects the stuttering, so really need to use the same server with / without VB Audio so I can see how it affects things.

So, please use the same server and show me the console logs with / without stutter using VB Audio to control the stutter.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Sent: 06 April 2018 20:47

HI Simon

A different laptop, not had VB-Audio installed at all, Installed latest SDR Radio v3.

A WAN connection to G4ELI server does not stutter - Log of this attached

A WAN connection to KA1GJU server stutters - Log of this and screen grab attached

Jim M0CKE

On 6 April 2018 at 07:36, Jim M0CKE <makidoja@...> wrote:

Hi Simon

Jim M0CKE

So,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Jim M0CKE

Simon Brown

😊

Max - I need the whole Console log please - important information has been lost (again my fault) so show me the whole logfile.

Sorry to be a pain.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Sent: 06 April 2018 20:39

No problem, here you go again.