Date   

Please explain "Satellite position"

David Coles
 

Please explain “satellite position”.

 

As a walker I can calculate a compass bearing, aka azimuth.

 

This is with reference to grid North.

 

This is then adjusted to magnetic North.

 

The result is expressed in degrees to a maximum of 360.

 

However, a satellite position might be given as 54° W, for example.

 

Sorry, I just don't get it!

 

Where is it?

 

I'm okay with elevation.

 

For information, my location is Latitude 51.445265 and Longtitude -0.345086

 

Locator JO01EK16

 

Many thanks Dave G7GZC

 

 


3D : April / May 2021

Simon Brown
 

Hi All,

 

The project to create good 3D displays is going well – lots of learning, in fact a massive amount of learning involved. One book Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX® 12 is only 824 pages in PDF format!

 

At the very least this should be superb eye candy, I’m hoping for the 3D displays to also be of use in just seeing signals, but until the code is ready it’s hard to say.

 

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

 


--
- + - + -
Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.


Re: Data Analyser: CSV file details #sdr-consolev3

jdow
 

Nick supplied me with some numbers. He is interested in a small frequency shift, under 100Hz, when retuning the front end, the AirSpy R2. The AirSpy R2 uses an R820T2 front end chip. It's frequency synthesizer step is fairly large. It is large enough that rtlsdr.dll recognizes this chip and uses the IF frequency synthesizer to make corrections so that the error is less than 7Hz. I do not believe at least some versions of AirSpy R2 software do not use it's internal synthesizer capability to tune out the R820T2's synthesizer's step size.

I also suggested he'd probably be better off leaving SDRC tuned to 470.0 MHz and let the receiver offset tune the 310 kHz offset to 470.310 MHz. It might avoid R820T2 synthesizer self conversion noise. And the receive windows can give him a better resolution view. (If he'd like even more I'd suggest he try SDRSharp. When zooming it leaves tuning the same but moves that receive frequency to the middle of the screen inside the display software.)

{^_^}

On 20210421 22:04:08, Nick Hall-Patch wrote:
For those who are interested, reading the couple of links provided below will give a better idea of what is going on, nothing to do with demodulation or rtlsdr dongles or suchlike things.   As for over the air signals, a number of AM broadcast signals do have stable carriers, even to within 0.1Hz.  Try Data Analyser and find out, though, yes, a decent SDR with a stable clock, likely disciplined by GPS, is needed to do the original recording.  Variations in the amplitude or frequency of the received signal can indicate propagation disturbances....that is the purpose of the exercise.

But, back to the original question...

73

Nick


At 01:59 2021-04-22, jdow wrote:
OK - I was just wondering. Post processing I can see forcing the data to provide that level of bandwidth, at least in theory. I am not at all sure you can ask most SDRs or post processors to provide data in a precise 1Hz bandwidth. And even if it is one bin of the FFT (with a power of two sampling clock) that's not a precise 1 Hz noise bandwidth, I don't believe. Are you looking to record the noise in a 1 Hz bandwidth or are you looking for signal plus noise with a signal that varies level (but not frequency?) The former seems possible with a correction factor. You may have to provide the factor by calibrating the system. The detection mode will make some difference on the readout. Is it a peak or average detector? Is it a true RMS detector? (I^2+Q^2 related.) Is it a rectifier and peak or average detector? All these have something to say for them. I prefer the true RMS approach. But then you have post filtering on the data which can upset calibration, particularly if signal plus noise is involved.  I don't know that Simon has released enough information to perform the analysis to get an analytical solution here. I remember some old HP Journal articles (yes, HP old) addressing this. Even the filter shapes will tweak your measurement of noise. I always worked with known equipment and settings to create known Eb/N0 values. Fortunately I never had to work backwards and calculate Eb/N0 for a really weak signal in noise. That is a thoroughly fugly calculation with just a whole lot of things that can get in the way of accuracy. That is why I believe I'd calibrate the system myself. And do be aware that you can specify to 1 Hz but, for example, your rtlsdr dongle will never be guaranteed to be accurate to that frequency within 7 Hz plus any clock error present. The synthesizers involved have their own step size which is NOT 1 Hz. That may be the source of another person's problems here; but, the description is not clear enough to know. As a side issue, where do you get a signal that is stable enough to be seen in the noise of this kind of setup? Over the air signals vary considerably with small variances in pressure, temperature, and humidity even on ground wave paths. Through the ionosphere I suspect it might not be possible depending on the length of observation and the behavior of the Sun. {O_O}



On 20210421 18:28:44, Nick Hall-Patch wrote:
SDRConsole's Data Analyser (in View / Options) does indeed make that claim, resolution bandwidth to better than 0.01Hz under the right settings, when playing back previously recorded SDR files.  More samples are used to generate finer scaled FFTs than are used in most SDR playback software.  See https://dk8ok.org/2021/01/22/magnificient-fdm-s3-the-millihertz-magnifier/ for example. There is a possibility of generating CSV files of signal strength versus time for a passband of 1Hz (but only 1Hz) in Data Analyser....hence my question, because other software, such as Carrier Sleuth ( https://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/medium_wave_carrier_display_app.html ) can generate CSV files for narrower bandwidths yet, but is very clear that it is displaying the highest value signal strength within that bandwidth, unless you are asking for a single bin worth of bandwidth.  But peak value that can be a different, and lower, value from the total power within a passband. 73 Nick At 23:57 2021-04-21, jdow wrote:
Um, er, ah, 1 Hz bandwidth? I am not sure SDRRadio will do that in any meaningful sense. You are pushing the limits of what a tool designed for picking olives when you try to use it to pick grapes. You may have to design your own instrument if you want that level of instrumentation accuracy. Depending on the front end the measurements you would get would be whimsical at best. {o.o} On 20210421 09:32:57, Nick Hall-Patch wrote:
This may be more a forum question, but isn't a bug report, more a "how is the sausage being made" question. When I have created a CSV file in Data Analyser, it has taken its information from a +/- 0.5Hz slice of spectrum. For each timestamp, is that data the total power level within the +/-0.5Hz bandwidth, or the maximum power level? Thank you. Nick

Nick Hall-Patch Victoria, BC Canada

Nick Hall-Patch
Victoria, BC
Canada



Re: Data Analyser: CSV file details #sdr-consolev3

Nick Hall-Patch
 

For those who are interested, reading the couple of links provided below will give a better idea of what is going on, nothing to do with demodulation or rtlsdr dongles or suchlike things.   As for over the air signals, a number of AM broadcast signals do have stable carriers, even to within 0.1Hz.  Try Data Analyser and find out, though, yes, a decent SDR with a stable clock, likely disciplined by GPS, is needed to do the original recording.  Variations in the amplitude or frequency of the received signal can indicate propagation disturbances....that is the purpose of the exercise.

But, back to the original question...

73

Nick


At 01:59 2021-04-22, jdow wrote:
OK - I was just wondering. Post processing I can see forcing the data to provide that level of bandwidth, at least in theory. I am not at all sure you can ask most SDRs or post processors to provide data in a precise 1Hz bandwidth. And even if it is one bin of the FFT (with a power of two sampling clock) that's not a precise 1 Hz noise bandwidth, I don't believe. Are you looking to record the noise in a 1 Hz bandwidth or are you looking for signal plus noise with a signal that varies level (but not frequency?) The former seems possible with a correction factor. You may have to provide the factor by calibrating the system. The detection mode will make some difference on the readout. Is it a peak or average detector? Is it a true RMS detector? (I^2+Q^2 related.) Is it a rectifier and peak or average detector? All these have something to say for them. I prefer the true RMS approach. But then you have post filtering on the data which can upset calibration, particularly if signal plus noise is involved.  I don't know that Simon has released enough information to perform the analysis to get an analytical solution here. I remember some old HP Journal articles (yes, HP old) addressing this. Even the filter shapes will tweak your measurement of noise. I always worked with known equipment and settings to create known Eb/N0 values. Fortunately I never had to work backwards and calculate Eb/N0 for a really weak signal in noise. That is a thoroughly fugly calculation with just a whole lot of things that can get in the way of accuracy. That is why I believe I'd calibrate the system myself. And do be aware that you can specify to 1 Hz but, for example, your rtlsdr dongle will never be guaranteed to be accurate to that frequency within 7 Hz plus any clock error present. The synthesizers involved have their own step size which is NOT 1 Hz. That may be the source of another person's problems here; but, the description is not clear enough to know. As a side issue, where do you get a signal that is stable enough to be seen in the noise of this kind of setup? Over the air signals vary considerably with small variances in pressure, temperature, and humidity even on ground wave paths. Through the ionosphere I suspect it might not be possible depending on the length of observation and the behavior of the Sun. {O_O}



On 20210421 18:28:44, Nick Hall-Patch wrote:
SDRConsole's Data Analyser (in View / Options) does indeed make that claim, resolution bandwidth to better than 0.01Hz under the right settings, when playing back previously recorded SDR files.  More samples are used to generate finer scaled FFTs than are used in most SDR playback software.  See https://dk8ok.org/2021/01/22/magnificient-fdm-s3-the-millihertz-magnifier/ for example. There is a possibility of generating CSV files of signal strength versus time for a passband of 1Hz (but only 1Hz) in Data Analyser....hence my question, because other software, such as Carrier Sleuth ( https://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/medium_wave_carrier_display_app.html ) can generate CSV files for narrower bandwidths yet, but is very clear that it is displaying the highest value signal strength within that bandwidth, unless you are asking for a single bin worth of bandwidth.  But peak value that can be a different, and lower, value from the total power within a passband. 73 Nick At 23:57 2021-04-21, jdow wrote:
Um, er, ah, 1 Hz bandwidth? I am not sure SDRRadio will do that in any meaningful sense. You are pushing the limits of what a tool designed for picking olives when you try to use it to pick grapes. You may have to design your own instrument if you want that level of instrumentation accuracy. Depending on the front end the measurements you would get would be whimsical at best. {o.o} On 20210421 09:32:57, Nick Hall-Patch wrote:
This may be more a forum question, but isn't a bug report, more a "how is the sausage being made" question. When I have created a CSV file in Data Analyser, it has taken its information from a +/- 0.5Hz slice of spectrum. For each timestamp, is that data the total power level within the +/-0.5Hz bandwidth, or the maximum power level? Thank you. Nick

Nick Hall-Patch Victoria, BC Canada

Nick Hall-Patch
Victoria, BC
Canada


Re: Data Analyser: CSV file details #sdr-consolev3

jdow
 

OK - I was just wondering.

Post processing I can see forcing the data to provide that level of bandwidth, at least in theory. I am not at all sure you can ask most SDRs or post processors to provide data in a precise 1Hz bandwidth. And even if it is one bin of the FFT (with a power of two sampling clock) that's not a precise 1 Hz noise bandwidth, I don't believe.

Are you looking to record the noise in a 1 Hz bandwidth or are you looking for signal plus noise with a signal that varies level (but not frequency?) The former seems possible with a correction factor. You may have to provide the factor by calibrating the system. The detection mode will make some difference on the readout. Is it a peak or average detector? Is it a true RMS detector? (I^2+Q^2 related.) Is it a rectifier and peak or average detector? All these have something to say for them. I prefer the true RMS approach. But then you have post filtering on the data which can upset calibration, particularly if signal plus noise is involved.  I don't know that Simon has released enough information to perform the analysis to get an analytical solution here. I remember some old HP Journal articles (yes, HP old) addressing this. Even the filter shapes will tweak your measurement of noise.

I always worked with known equipment and settings to create known Eb/N0 values. Fortunately I never had to work backwards and calculate Eb/N0 for a really weak signal in noise. That is a thoroughly fugly calculation with just a whole lot of things that can get in the way of accuracy. That is why I believe I'd calibrate the system myself.

And do be aware that you can specify to 1 Hz but, for example, your rtlsdr dongle will never be guaranteed to be accurate to that frequency within 7 Hz plus any clock error present. The synthesizers involved have their own step size which is NOT 1 Hz. That may be the source of another person's problems here; but, the description is not clear enough to know.

As a side issue, where do you get a signal that is stable enough to be seen in the noise of this kind of setup? Over the air signals vary considerably with small variances in pressure, temperature, and humidity even on ground wave paths. Through the ionosphere I suspect it might not be possible depending on the length of observation and the behavior of the Sun.

{O_O}

On 20210421 18:28:44, Nick Hall-Patch wrote:
SDRConsole's Data Analyser (in View / Options) does indeed make that claim, resolution bandwidth to better than 0.01Hz under the right settings, when playing back previously recorded SDR files.  More samples are used to generate finer scaled FFTs than are used in most SDR playback software.  See https://dk8ok.org/2021/01/22/magnificient-fdm-s3-the-millihertz-magnifier/ for example.

There is a possibility of generating CSV files of signal strength versus time for a passband of 1Hz (but only 1Hz) in Data Analyser....hence my question, because other software, such as Carrier Sleuth ( https://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/medium_wave_carrier_display_app.html ) can generate CSV files for narrower bandwidths yet, but is very clear that it is displaying the highest value signal strength within that bandwidth, unless you are asking for a single bin worth of bandwidth.  But peak value that can be a different, and lower, value from the total power within a passband.

73

Nick


At 23:57 2021-04-21, jdow wrote:
Um, er, ah, 1 Hz bandwidth? I am not sure SDRRadio will do that in any meaningful sense. You are pushing the limits of what a tool designed for picking olives when you try to use it to pick grapes. You may have to design your own instrument if you want that level of instrumentation accuracy. Depending on the front end the measurements you would get would be whimsical at best. {o.o}
On 20210421 09:32:57, Nick Hall-Patch wrote:
This may be more a forum question, but isn't a bug report, more a "how is the sausage being made" question. When I have created a CSV file in Data Analyser, it has taken its information from a +/- 0.5Hz slice of spectrum. For each timestamp, is that data the total power level within the +/-0.5Hz bandwidth, or the maximum power level? Thank you. Nick

Nick Hall-Patch
Victoria, BC
Canada



Re: AirSpy R2 Setup with SDRC V3

jdow
 

I have an R2. I have a plain AirSpy. I have an HF+. I have a Discovery. I have several others. They are nice. They are not precision instruments. Without knowing your settings I cannot do anything other than I have commented.

So I'll Fisk this.

1) I have a GPS locked R2. (And a very stable and precise HP instrument to work with.)
2) Tune the carrier where how? There are several ways some of which do entirely different things. What frequency?
3) Change the frequency in the popup panel. What frequency? How is it generated?
4) The carrier is always moving. So what do you mean here? How much? Position on the screen or numerical frequency reported on screen or what?
5) So far I do not see a bug.

Give numbers and settings information and screen shots somebody can work with or it's not a bug.

{^_^}

On 20210421 18:21:57, Max Mucci, N5NHJ via groups.io wrote:
Hello jdow,
I don't really understand why you jump in any discussion, sometimes without a clue about what is the topic.
Do you have an R2? if yes tune a carrier, change the frequency, click on center (the pop-up control panel which appears over the panadapter zone) and please confirm the carrier has moved.
I have reported it as a bug few weeks ago, it has noting to do with GS locking (yes, my R2 is GPS locked) or with moon Doppler.

----------------------
73 de Max, N5NHJ (I8NHJ)

Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 11:51:57 PM, you wrote:


Phase lock it to GPS and the unscheduled wandering frequency should end. But, the Moon moves relative to your location so you get frequency shift there, I am sure you know.

{o.o}

On 20210421 08:45:39, Max Mucci, N5NHJ via groups.io wrote:

Re: [SDR-Radio] AirSpy R2 Setup with SDRC V3
Hello Frank,
I've been using the R2 for 70 cm EME with excellent results (the only issue I have found using it with SDRC is the frequency shift after centering the signal in the panadapter).
You want to play a bit with the Radio panel controls, what I've found working quite well for me in terms of sensitivity and SNR is:
Gain: Sensitive/17
LNA: 17
Mixer: 20
VGA: 19
Visual: -30

----------------------
73 de Max, N5NHJ (I8NHJ)

Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 10:00:49 AM, you wrote:


I am doing a TransAtlantic 144Mhz VHF Signal project this summer and plan to use the AirSpy R2 OR an SDRPlay RSP2 as the Receiver monitoring Eu FT8 VHF beacons.

I have used both of these before but it has been a couple of years .  The SDRPlay RSP2 appears to be working and the noise floor is approximately -120dBm on 6M.  (VHF antennas not erected yet).  A weak test signal is being received.
The Airspy doesn't seem to be working.  The noise floor is -95dbFS and no test signal can be heard.  What can be the issue?.  

If I run the Airspy using SDR# I can't hear anything.  I am not familiar with SDR# so I must have not installed it correctly.  Is there a procedure to setup the Airspy to work in SDRC V3?

Frank VO1HP



Re: Data Analyser: CSV file details #sdr-consolev3

Nick Hall-Patch
 

SDRConsole's Data Analyser (in View / Options) does indeed make that claim, resolution bandwidth to better than 0.01Hz under the right settings, when playing back previously recorded SDR files.  More samples are used to generate finer scaled FFTs than are used in most SDR playback software.  See https://dk8ok.org/2021/01/22/magnificient-fdm-s3-the-millihertz-magnifier/ for example.

There is a possibility of generating CSV files of signal strength versus time for a passband of 1Hz (but only 1Hz) in Data Analyser....hence my question, because other software, such as Carrier Sleuth ( https://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/medium_wave_carrier_display_app.html ) can generate CSV files for narrower bandwidths yet, but is very clear that it is displaying the highest value signal strength within that bandwidth, unless you are asking for a single bin worth of bandwidth.  But peak value that can be a different, and lower, value from the total power within a passband.

73

Nick


At 23:57 2021-04-21, jdow wrote:
Um, er, ah, 1 Hz bandwidth? I am not sure SDRRadio will do that in any meaningful sense. You are pushing the limits of what a tool designed for picking olives when you try to use it to pick grapes. You may have to design your own instrument if you want that level of instrumentation accuracy. Depending on the front end the measurements you would get would be whimsical at best. {o.o}
On 20210421 09:32:57, Nick Hall-Patch wrote:
This may be more a forum question, but isn't a bug report, more a "how is the sausage being made" question. When I have created a CSV file in Data Analyser, it has taken its information from a +/- 0.5Hz slice of spectrum. For each timestamp, is that data the total power level within the +/-0.5Hz bandwidth, or the maximum power level? Thank you. Nick

Nick Hall-Patch
Victoria, BC
Canada


Re: AirSpy R2 Setup with SDRC V3

Max Mucci, N5NHJ
 

Hello jdow,
I don't really understand why you jump in any discussion, sometimes without a clue about what is the topic.
Do you have an R2? if yes tune a carrier, change the frequency, click on center (the pop-up control panel which appears over the panadapter zone) and please confirm the carrier has moved.
I have reported it as a bug few weeks ago, it has noting to do with GS locking (yes, my R2 is GPS locked) or with moon Doppler.

----------------------
73 de Max, N5NHJ (I8NHJ)

Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 11:51:57 PM, you wrote:


Phase lock it to GPS and the unscheduled wandering frequency should end. But, the Moon moves relative to your location so you get frequency shift there, I am sure you know.

{o.o}

On 20210421 08:45:39, Max Mucci, N5NHJ via groups.io wrote:

Re: [SDR-Radio] AirSpy R2 Setup with SDRC V3
Hello Frank,
I've been using the R2 for 70 cm EME with excellent results (the only issue I have found using it with SDRC is the frequency shift after centering the signal in the panadapter).
You want to play a bit with the Radio panel controls, what I've found working quite well for me in terms of sensitivity and SNR is:
Gain: Sensitive/17
LNA: 17
Mixer: 20
VGA: 19
Visual: -30

----------------------
73 de Max, N5NHJ (I8NHJ)

Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 10:00:49 AM, you wrote:


I am doing a TransAtlantic 144Mhz VHF Signal project this summer and plan to use the AirSpy R2 OR an SDRPlay RSP2 as the Receiver monitoring Eu FT8 VHF beacons.

I have used both of these before but it has been a couple of years .  The SDRPlay RSP2 appears to be working and the noise floor is approximately -120dBm on 6M.  (VHF antennas not erected yet).  A weak test signal is being received.
The Airspy doesn't seem to be working.  The noise floor is -95dbFS and no test signal can be heard.  What can be the issue?.  

If I run the Airspy using SDR# I can't hear anything.  I am not familiar with SDR# so I must have not installed it correctly.  Is there a procedure to setup the Airspy to work in SDRC V3?

Frank VO1HP


Re: AirSpy R2 Setup with SDRC V3

jdow
 

Visit www.sdr-radio.com and look through the menus on the page. Just an amazing amount of basic data is up there compared to say SDRSharp.

{^_^}

On 20210421 13:20:49, invl160 Davis wrote:
Max
Thanks for your reply.   I have looked everywhere in SDRC V3 but see no Radio control panel when using AirSpy R2?...Can you send me a screen shot of what you are seeing

Frank VO1HP


Re: Data Analyser: CSV file details #sdr-consolev3

jdow
 

Um, er, ah, 1 Hz bandwidth? I am not sure SDRRadio will do that in any meaningful sense. You are pushing the limits of what a tool designed for picking olives when you try to use it to pick grapes. You may have to design your own instrument if you want that level of instrumentation accuracy. Depending on the front end the measurements you would get would be whimsical at best.

{o.o}

On 20210421 09:32:57, Nick Hall-Patch wrote:
This may be more a forum question, but isn't a bug report, more a "how is the sausage being made" question.

When I have created a CSV file in Data Analyser, it has taken its information from a +/- 0.5Hz slice of spectrum.

For each timestamp, is that data the total power level within the +/-0.5Hz bandwidth, or the maximum power level?

Thank you.

Nick


Re: AirSpy R2 Setup with SDRC V3

jdow
 

Phase lock it to GPS and the unscheduled wandering frequency should end. But, the Moon moves relative to your location so you get frequency shift there, I am sure you know.

{o.o}

On 20210421 08:45:39, Max Mucci, N5NHJ via groups.io wrote:
Hello Frank,
I've been using the R2 for 70 cm EME with excellent results (the only issue I have found using it with SDRC is the frequency shift after centering the signal in the panadapter).
You want to play a bit with the Radio panel controls, what I've found working quite well for me in terms of sensitivity and SNR is:
Gain: Sensitive/17
LNA: 17
Mixer: 20
VGA: 19
Visual: -30

----------------------
73 de Max, N5NHJ (I8NHJ)

Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 10:00:49 AM, you wrote:


I am doing a TransAtlantic 144Mhz VHF Signal project this summer and plan to use the AirSpy R2 OR an SDRPlay RSP2 as the Receiver monitoring Eu FT8 VHF beacons.

I have used both of these before but it has been a couple of years .  The SDRPlay RSP2 appears to be working and the noise floor is approximately -120dBm on 6M.  (VHF antennas not erected yet).  A weak test signal is being received.
The Airspy doesn't seem to be working.  The noise floor is -95dbFS and no test signal can be heard.  What can be the issue?.  

If I run the Airspy using SDR# I can't hear anything.  I am not familiar with SDR# so I must have not installed it correctly.  Is there a procedure to setup the Airspy to work in SDRC V3?

Frank VO1HP


Re: AirSpy R2 Setup with SDRC V3

jdow
 



On 20210421 08:00:49, invl160 Davis wrote:
I am doing a TransAtlantic 144Mhz VHF Signal project this summer and plan to use the AirSpy R2 OR an SDRPlay RSP2 as the Receiver monitoring Eu FT8 VHF beacons.

I have used both of these before but it has been a couple of years .  The SDRPlay RSP2 appears to be working and the noise floor is approximately -120dBm on 6M.  (VHF antennas not erected yet).  A weak test signal is being received.

Good Lord - what bandwidth is that in? I'd look for something akin to -164 dBm in a 1Hz bandwidth at LEAST. -174 dBm in 1 Hz bandwidth would be pretty good, under a 2 dB noise figure. In a 10 kHz bandwidth I'd expect -144 dBm to be considered excellent and -134 dBm to be marginal.

The Airspy doesn't seem to be working.  The noise floor is -95dbFS and no test signal can be heard.  What can be the issue?. 

1) AirSpy, AirSpy R2, AirSpy HF+, AirSpy Discovery? Which one is it?
2) How are you deploying it?
3) What are its settings?
4) In a location as noisy as you imply, why bother?

If I run the Airspy using SDR# I can't hear anything.  I am not familiar with SDR# so I must have not installed it correctly.  Is there a procedure to setup the Airspy to work in SDRC V3?

Frank VO1HP

See above - vouchsafe us some meat to work with please.

{O.O}


Re: AirSpy R2 Setup with SDRC V3

invl160 Davis
 

Max...Ok thanks .  Now I am asking myself how did I miss that!!   A senior moment for sure.   Got it.  Even with your picture it took me a few minutes to find it!....I "borrowed your settings as a starting point.  Many thanks for your help.  If you haven't already done so you can check QRZ page for VO1FN to read about our TransAtlantic VHF Signals project

73 Frank VO1HP


Re: AirSpy R2 Setup with SDRC V3

Max Mucci, N5NHJ
 

Frank,
See the attached screenshot.


----------------------
73 de Max, N5NHJ (I8NHJ)

Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 3:20:49 PM, you wrote:


Max
Thanks for your reply.   I have looked everywhere in SDRC V3 but see no Radio control panel when using AirSpy R2?...Can you send me a screen shot of what you are seeing

Frank VO1HP


Re: AirSpy R2 Setup with SDRC V3

invl160 Davis
 

Max
Thanks for your reply.   I have looked everywhere in SDRC V3 but see no Radio control panel when using AirSpy R2?...Can you send me a screen shot of what you are seeing

Frank VO1HP


Data Analyser: CSV file details #sdr-consolev3

Nick Hall-Patch
 

This may be more a forum question, but isn't a bug report, more a "how is the sausage being made" question.

When I have created a CSV file in Data Analyser, it has taken its information from a +/- 0.5Hz slice of spectrum.

For each timestamp, is that data the total power level within the +/-0.5Hz bandwidth, or the maximum power level?

Thank you.

Nick


Re: AirSpy R2 Setup with SDRC V3

Max Mucci, N5NHJ
 

Hello Frank,
I've been using the R2 for 70 cm EME with excellent results (the only issue I have found using it with SDRC is the frequency shift after centering the signal in the panadapter).
You want to play a bit with the Radio panel controls, what I've found working quite well for me in terms of sensitivity and SNR is:
Gain: Sensitive/17
LNA: 17
Mixer: 20
VGA: 19
Visual: -30

----------------------
73 de Max, N5NHJ (I8NHJ)

Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 10:00:49 AM, you wrote:


I am doing a TransAtlantic 144Mhz VHF Signal project this summer and plan to use the AirSpy R2 OR an SDRPlay RSP2 as the Receiver monitoring Eu FT8 VHF beacons.

I have used both of these before but it has been a couple of years .  The SDRPlay RSP2 appears to be working and the noise floor is approximately -120dBm on 6M.  (VHF antennas not erected yet).  A weak test signal is being received.
The Airspy doesn't seem to be working.  The noise floor is -95dbFS and no test signal can be heard.  What can be the issue?.  

If I run the Airspy using SDR# I can't hear anything.  I am not familiar with SDR# so I must have not installed it correctly.  Is there a procedure to setup the Airspy to work in SDRC V3?

Frank VO1HP


Re: AirSpy R2 Setup with SDRC V3

Gedas
 

Hi Frank. Going back to your RSP2 I am wondering how you arrived at the -120 dBm noise floor on 6m? Was this verified with a known sig gen or are you going by what the software is showing. The latter is not an absolute figure and also as you know -120 dBm is pretty poor as far as an MDS is concerned so if it is a real number an LNA may be in order. 73

Gedas, W8BYA EN70JT

Gallery at http://w8bya.com (under repair)
Light travels faster than sound....
This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
On 4/21/2021 11:00 AM, invl160 Davis wrote:

I am doing a TransAtlantic 144Mhz VHF Signal project this summer and plan to use the AirSpy R2 OR an SDRPlay RSP2 as the Receiver monitoring Eu FT8 VHF beacons.

I have used both of these before but it has been a couple of years .  The SDRPlay RSP2 appears to be working and the noise floor is approximately -120dBm on 6M.  (VHF antennas not erected yet).  A weak test signal is being received.
The Airspy doesn't seem to be working.  The noise floor is -95dbFS and no test signal can be heard.  What can be the issue?.  

If I run the Airspy using SDR# I can't hear anything.  I am not familiar with SDR# so I must have not installed it correctly.  Is there a procedure to setup the Airspy to work in SDRC V3?

Frank VO1HP


AirSpy R2 Setup with SDRC V3

invl160 Davis
 

I am doing a TransAtlantic 144Mhz VHF Signal project this summer and plan to use the AirSpy R2 OR an SDRPlay RSP2 as the Receiver monitoring Eu FT8 VHF beacons.

I have used both of these before but it has been a couple of years .  The SDRPlay RSP2 appears to be working and the noise floor is approximately -120dBm on 6M.  (VHF antennas not erected yet).  A weak test signal is being received.
The Airspy doesn't seem to be working.  The noise floor is -95dbFS and no test signal can be heard.  What can be the issue?.  

If I run the Airspy using SDR# I can't hear anything.  I am not familiar with SDR# so I must have not installed it correctly.  Is there a procedure to setup the Airspy to work in SDRC V3?

Frank VO1HP


Re: PC time drift

John G4SWX
 

On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 04:08 AM, Gisle Vanem wrote:
So does anybody have experience with reducing this time-drift?
Switch over to using Meinberg as I have found it removes most such effects.

John G4SWX

1201 - 1220 of 63349