Re: Build 379

Bruce Tanner

Made a fatal error in checking the 'auto start' button. Now it attempts to come on immediately, presents the problem as indicated but I cannot turn off the 'auto start', nor do I have the "Data decode" feature set to on. I attempted to re-install hoping that the 'auto start' would go to default 'off' but apparently the earlier setting is preserved so no luck there.

I will delete and return to the version 377 for now....

Bruce

On 8/11/2010 12:07 PM, Bruce Tanner wrote:

After I get the radio going... I can turn off the "Data decoder" and the console continues to play as expected. Hope all this makes sense and is in some way helpful, Simon.

bet

On 8/11/2010 11:56 AM, Bruce Tanner wrote:

I should add that I am using a "Softrock RX Ensemble" (HF version)

bet
---------------.

On 8/11/2010 11:55 AM, Bruce Tanner wrote:

Just downloaded version 379 to my system. Win 7 - 64 bit with FA-66 USB interface.

I am experiencing an attempt of the software to load but it never completes loading. I get the  little 'I'm loading icon' (small turning circle) which goes continuously. It eventually stops and the console screen goes 'gray' making it unusable and leaves an error message indicating need to shut down.

My first attempt to use the program resulted in actual audio response from a local station without even having the console 'turned on'. Following that, I rebooted my system to see if it would solve the issues. No it did not... in fact after the re-boot I cannot get the console to play at all and the original sound has disappeared as well. I have attempted to reload the program five times now with the same result.

I experienced not of these issues with the prior version "377 beta"... I never tried the version "378 beta."

Bruce
------------------

On 8/11/2010 10:40 AM, joni_ellen wrote:

So.....
I get the latest Console and start installing it in my old Dell laptop with XPsp3.

While starting to install, the SDR-IQ all of the sudden dies! The red overload light comes on and the yellow 'pulse' light quits pulsing. (A hardware problem... Not a Console problem!)

Trying a number of workarounds to get the SDR-IQ going again (long story) I plug the SDR-IQ directly into the laptop rather than the USB expander box and it comes back alive. Well that is great! (read more later)

I launch Simon's new software and it works great 'right out of the box'. No problems with lock-up or freeze. Everything works and looks good. After fooling around with the refresh rates and some of the nerdier settings in the software the CPU load consistently is running less than 20%. Sync AM audio sounds really great.... and that's coming out of my lap top speakers!

Adjustable waterfall refresh rate is super... audio buffer adjustment and latency are more than acceptable for me. Selectable S meter is wonderful. Haven't had a chance to try digital but the CW filtering and adjustment at first glance seems to be as good if not better than my FT-950. Audio spectrum window really helps with narrowing the filter.

Only problems I see with a fairly brief session are:
1. It still need a knob! ;-) Tuning seems a bit clunky to me from a human interface point of view.

2. The font in the center of the audio spectrum window doesn't scale properly and overlaps itself at times. (I'll post a screen shot if you really need it). I think a couple of other screens have this problem too but this is just a minor thing that can be looked at when time permits.

Not too shabby for a pre-Beta Kit! Thanks Simon.

Also loaded the latest HRD too. Gotta keep up to date.

Getting updated software is as much fun as opening presents on Christmas day!

NOW about that SDR-IQ problem... As I was powering down the computer I noticed that the pilot light on the USB expander went out when the computer shut off..... Dumb me! Looks like the wall wart that powers the expander had fallen out of the wall socket and the expander just didn't have enough power to run the SDR-IQ.

J*

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5358 (20100811) __________

http://www.eset.com