Re: SDRC and Airspy R2

jdow

For listening get the cable out of the picture by mounting it on the antenna.

At a guess that will buy you as much as 6 dB noise figure.

{^_^}

On 20220709 08:29:00, Simon Brown wrote:
Hi,

What's the S3 noise figure on Band II ? I have maybe 2dB loss in the 25m RG6, so am wondering what the total NF is.

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of Conrad, PA5Y via groups.io <g0ruz@...>
Sent: 09 July 2022 16:06
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] SDRC and Airspy R2

BTW I put the BPF before the LNA to help protect it from 144MHz EME high power. I am not suggesting that a PGA103+ will saturate from normal Band II situations. However, it has a little bit too much gain, so a good filter and an attenuator does no harm. The S3 really is excellent. Just like you said 😊

Conrad PA5Y

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Conrad, PA5Y via groups.io
Sent: 09 July 2022 17:01
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io

Hello Simon, I have done a noise analysis and you WILL benefit from an LNA. I have a PGA103+ preceded by a band pass filter and it seems to work very well. However, I am still waiting for a bigger antenna. I ordered an OPTDES which never arrived. So, I will ask a few of the local Band II DXers for an alternative.

Conrad PA5Y

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Simon Brown via groups.io
Sent: 09 July 2022 13:22
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io

FWIW,

The ELAD S3 is the best Band II receiver I have. Am thinking about a preamp on the mast for those very weak stations - if I get close to receiving weak signals from across the pond (USA, Canada).

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of George Stein - NJ3H via groups.io <nj3h@...>
Sent: 09 July 2022 08:08
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io>

Simon and others,

I have attached 3 pictures all with Console running.

Elad S2,

Airspy R2

RSPdx

The RSPdx is the only on of these three that has a decent signal. Running uno is fine also.

It is the other two that are causing problems.  The native software yields the same lousy signals.  There is a lot of noise on these two receivers for the station in question. I have fiddles with the R2 slide controls in both Sharp and Console. The Elad appears not to have any RF gain capability.

The frequency I am using for this exercise is 98.9, 92 watts, 25 km away.  I am using the same antenna for all three radios.  The antenna is pictured in an attachment. Same feed line to all three radios. My HF+ Discovery works fine also.

As I said in a previous message, the Elad S2 is the one that really puzzles me.  I would have expected it to come out the best (based only on price, that is).

Anyway, please let me know if more information is needed.

Thanks for looking into this.

Regards,

George

On Friday, July 8, 2022 at 11:38:57 PM PDT, jdow <jdow@...> wrote:

Frequency?

{o.o}

On 20220708 14:47:30, George Stein - NJ3H via groups.io wrote:

92 watts not 25.

On Fri, Jul 8, 2022 at 2:24 PM, George Stein -  NJ3H via groups.io

<nj3h@...> wrote:

Further to my last message.  The station in question is 25 km away and running a mere 25 watts. 

Using SDR Console:

With the Elad S2 and and the Airspy R2, the reception was very noisy.

With the Airspy HF+ Discovery and the RSPdx, the signal was full quieting. With the edge going to the HF+ Discovery.

This was not a scientific test, just a casual observation. The only thing I am surprised about was the Elad S2 performance.

I then used the native software for each device and had the same results.

Regards and YMMV,
George

--

- + - + -

Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.

--
- + - + -
Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.

Join main@SDR-Radio.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.