Re: Spectral Subtraction

Conrad, PA5Y

Simon thank you for your work.

I find the burbling sounds associated with Spectral subtraction most off putting. I believe it is called ‘musical noise’ and is more obtrusive with speech than music.

This is interesting.

https://www.vocal.com/noise-reduction/musical-noise/

It offers suggestions as to how it may be reduced which do work. Probably Simon has already incorporated these techniques.

I have been working commercially on this very subject exclusively with AM radio for the last 4 months with great success, unfortunately I cannot share what we have done.

SDR# suffers from the same affliction, at least based on the recordings that I could find online. If anyone has any good examples of spectral subtraction with SDR# please post them.

Watch the video below at 08:24, this is about the best in amateur radio I’ve heard, the artefacts are there but acceptable for our purposes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR5t4Hei9FA

73

Conrad PA5Y