From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of
Conrad, PA5Y
Sent: 30 March 2022 15:28
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Elad S3 versus Perseus and FDM Duo

Hello Brian

Yes sub 1dB noise figures definitely cost dynamic range.
That is true and unnecessary, perhaps I misunderstand but you seem to be
indicating that I am advocating sub 1dB noise figures on 144MHz. I am not
and Chris Bartram was absolutely right.

I said, earlier in the thread.

....... dynamic range is certainly not optional. I put systems together
based upon total system analysis which includes both noise figure and
dynamic range. On 2m with a 1dB NF which is a little better than needed for
terrestrial operation in my semi-rural location. I use the free AppCAD
program for system noise figure and dynamic range analysis, although a
spreadsheet also works fine.

I think that a system noise figure of 1dB on 2m is better than needed. I
agree that 2dB is good enough for terrestrial use and even then only for the
very fortunate. 1dB is slightly better than 2dB. For most people who are not
on EME, these days 3-4dB is adequate for terrestrial use on 144 MHz due to
manmade noise. Also in EU contests (including the UKAC) you are better off
prioritising dynamic range much of the time.

Which is why I use a step attenuator after the first LNA stage, I can adjust
it extremely quickly depending on conditions. Try it, you will find that is
optimal for the EU VHF DXer who suffers from high station density.

By the way sub 1dB noise figures on 432MHz and above are very worthwhile and
certainly not that difficult to achieve these days.

73

Conrad PA5Y