Re: For Simon (et al): Console And Icom R8600 Issues


Simon Brown
 

Hi,

 

You sent the screenshot and logfile on a Saturday, so it may surprise you that I was doing something else over the weekend 😊 .

 

Try a higher bandwidth when starting the radio, I don’t see any errors in the logfile. Try a different USB port.

 

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

 

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of rmrrgs
Sent: 14 March 2022 10:26
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] For Simon (et al): Console And Icom R8600 Issues

 

Hi again Simon,

 

Hate to be a pest, really, but am so very anxious to use Console with my new 

Icom R8600.  Hope this isn’t too long, but I tried to include any info. that I thought 

might be helpful.

 

Hope you have had a chance to inspect the LogFile and Screenshot I sent you 

previously, and that there are some hints in it as to what my problem is.

 

As usual, I am sure that I am missing something very basic in the setup, or more likely
just something dumb that I haven’t done, or haven’t done correctly.

 

The following adds a bit more information to my tale of woe:

 

Radio USB cable goes from radio IQ  Port to pc.  No Hub in use.

 

I have installed, per your writeup, the ICOM download “USB I/Q Package for HDSDR”.

Hopefully correctly ?  Not sure.  It was the X64 version.

It installed, apparently, into HDSDR.

 

*Should it (also) be installed into SDRConsole ?  Tried, but the Installer wouldn’t let me.

 

       *Located it in Device Mgr. /Universal Serial Bus Devices. 

        Shows there as: IC-R8600 I/Q Out Port (WinUSB)

 

       **Is this correct ?  Any other places it should be, or anything else related to this

         Driver that I should do ?

 

Tried using HDSDR with the R8600 as an experiment.

 

The LO numbers when tuned in HDSDR, change the R8600 frequency perfectly.

The Tune numbers do not effect the numbers showing in the R8600.

 

The mode buttons in HDSDR do not change the mode in the R8600

The R8600 seems to stay locked on USB, as with Console.

 

Back to Console:

 

Looking at the Console Definitions, I see for the R8600 in “Select Radio/Options” :

               \\?\usb#vid_0c268&pid_ …….   (note the “usb”)  Is this correct ?

 

I select the 8600 in Console, and say START;

 

Console does seem to communicate with the R8600.

 

Changing the tune numbers in Console changes the numbers in

the small panel that appears in the waterfall for Freq. and Span.

Freq: reflects exactly what is shown in the R8600 panel

 

But changing numbers in Console, sometimes, but not all the time,

doesn’t always change exactly what the radio shows. 

Usually, only the highest one or two digits change.

 

Again, what the radio shows always mimics the small panel in the waterfall for Freq.

 
Probably important, and likely a good hint to what is happening:

    *Dragging the small vertical yellow line on the waterfall bottom scale is reflected

     exactly on the radio and also on the small Freq/Scan panel in the Waterfall.

 

 Mode selection buttons (still) can’t get to work.

 

I keep wondering if there is some configuration in the radio itself that I

haven’t configured correctly. Wouldn’t surprise me that the problem may be here, but

no idea what it might be, if so.

 

Best regards, and thanks so much for thoughts and help,

Bob


--
- + - + -
Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.

Join main@SDR-Radio.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.