Re: Audio level issue with SDR-Console and Fldigi #sdr-consolev3

jdow

Your hookups did not translate very well, probably due to formatting issues. Did you mean something like:

SDRC -> Virtual Audio Cable |->FLdigi
                            |->speakers

If going to analog is included in any setup then a mixer will be needed so that the paralleled audio paths do not interact with each other.

{^_^}

On 20220307 07:07:10, Chris wrote:
That sounds like you have multiple audio paths from SDRC to FLDIGI.How are you routing audio from SDRC to FLdigi and what are your audio settings in all programs and windows?
Like Simon says... Screen Shots really help! there's just not enough info to work with right now.
Its probably not a level problem, its all in the timing and, in a computer, if a signal takes two paths one path is slightly delayed with respect to the other. If they are then recombined, there is either phase cancellation or, in extreme cases, actually two distinct signals like an echo.

On a computer, your NOT really listening to what you think you are.
Remember that computer audio is fairly complex and is designed to merge multiple sources into what you hear. At a simple level, it puts both "program" audio (music, zoom, SDRC, etc) as well as system sounds (warnings,, notifications, alarms, etc) into your speakers/headphones.

So... what is FLdigi REALLY "hearing"?
It depends on how your routing the audio internally and what you told it to listen too.

Windows designed a truly horrible sound architecture. Its levels all interact and routing is both a complex, error prone mess and severely crippled in functionality at the same time.
When you add in virtual audio cables (which you often have to do because of the crippled windows audio routing), it can get confusing in a hurry and there's a tendency to go "great! I see level! and stop.
Something that may help is to draw out the signal path and try to keep it as simple as possible:
SDRC -> Virtual Audio Cable ->FLdigi->speakers
is much better than:
SDRC->Virtual Audio Cable->FLdigi>Speakers
         -> Speakers>Fldigi
                                             ->Speakers->Mic->FLdigi
Which may work, but not very well, and is all too easy to achieve.

Here's a place to look for issues:
Start the whole thing up, SDRC, FLDIGI, Virtual cables etc.
Document EVERYTHING that you touch before you touch it so you can get back if you need too! I find a cell phone camera rerally handy for this, but check the pictures to make sure they are clear.
Look at the settings for audio in/out on each app in the chain, do they make sense when drawn out?
Now look at  Windows Audio built in routing and settings...
In the search bar (usually bottom left of the display) type the word Sounds and hit Enter
Now, go through each item, lets start with Playback and Speakers
Select them and click Properties
Go through all the tabs. make very sure that all "enhancements" are turned OFF. The "Kiddy Kewl Super Pro Enhanced Bass Processor" isn't going to help with what we do.
On to "Recording"
Real Microphones should be OFF! we don't want audio from the computers mixing with our real feed! (if you need them form Zoom, or whatever, dont forhet to turn them back on. You can experiment with settings later to figure out how to make life easier and have the things work for Zoom and not play havoc with our digital decodes.
On the "recording" sources "properties" there's a confusing option called "Listen to this device". Be careful! this is where things can get nasty. All that box does is enable the recording source to go straight to the speakers. you should only be listening to ONE device at a a time! Just to confuse things, FLdigi also has the ability to monitor the audio and so, effectively, becomes another recording source as well as a target. Those settings are in FLdigi, Configure, Config Dialog, Soundcard, Devices.

Follow the KISS rule!
Simple is always better.
Good luck