Re: Open HPSDR Hermes (14 bit ADC, EP3C25) Transceiver Card

Conrad, PA5Y

My measurements are from a K3S and TS-890S, with a 2 tone signal at 0dBm from the transverter port. The difference between the 2 fundamental tones is better than 50dB down at the 3rd orders, I will measure it again tonight and post it to you.

Where do you get the idea that a class A RF stage is incapable of such performance? Your -40dBc for Class A is typical for RF power amplifiers running at tens of watts.

Look here at figure 3a, this is a Class A RF amplifier with no pre-distortion running at 2W per tone. The IM3 is -51.48dBc, this is at 950 MHz.

https://www.minicircuits.com/appdoc/AN60-005.html

When testing the 32S-3 Rob is testing the audio chain IMD as well as the finals. To properly measure an amplifier IMD you should use 2 isolated sources.

This is not a bad read.

https://www.w0qe.com/Technical_Topics/imd_testing_of_amplifiers.html

I am not saying that I can achieve his level of performance at my final tetrode PA, just at the transverter input and the transverter itself.

73

Conrad PA5Y