Re: Open HPSDR Hermes (14 bit ADC, EP3C25) Transceiver Card

Max

On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 11:18 AM, Simon Brown wrote:

Re: Audio,

  • Use a decent microphone such as the Sennheiser 835, these are cheaper than HEIL.
  • Use a good compander & limiter – as in SDR Console.
Yes, agree, Sennheiser 835 is also a good choice. My bad, I meant SM58 for the Shure mic, not SM57.

SM58 and 835 very similar animals. Lot of radio amateurs seem to opt for those recording studio style condenser mics in cradles, but (by design) they pick up quite a lot of background noise, although of course they look showy which I suspect is why they are used so much! They also need phantom power (not a big issue these days - most decent USB mic boxes have it). But for close up voice mic like we want you can't beat a good solid dynamic cardioid and they are cheap too!

73

Max