Re: Audio issue on SDR Console

Dale Elshoff WB8CJW

Ken,

Your file /SDR Console tmp_VAC-Employed.txt/ shows an error at line 105 'Error opening Speakers'.  Maybe the VAC is continuously retrying and causing the popping attempting to connect.

Did you try the things Simon suggested?

Dale

On 1/14/2022 7:12 PM, Ken Sejkora wrote:

Valid question, Dale.  I looked at what else was running in the background, and when I shut down MalwareBytes, CPU load dropped from ~18% down to about 7%.  Wow, I never would have guessed a running anti-malware program would consume that much processor power.

I also run a outside temperature logging program using rtl_tcp in the background to monitor a separate RTL-SDR looking for the remote temperature sensor signals.  Those temperature readings are logged into a text CSV file.  If I disable all of those processes, (text logging, rtl_tcp, etc.) the CPU load drops from 7% down to around 3%.

I’ll try running SDRC with all of these other background processes disabled to see if it makes any difference in the audio popping.  For what it’s worth, I’ve been running those background processes for the past couple of years without any issues, and they never seemed to cause any issues.  As mentioned in the original email, I first noticed the popping arising after installing a Microsoft features update. I don’t know if that’s just coincidence, or if some aspect of the update is causing the problem.

Thanks for the insights.  Have a great weekend, Dale.

Ken