Re: Audio issue on SDR Console

Ken Sejkora

Hi Simon,

I figured out how to create the log file.  I attached two of them, one without the VAC software running and the SDRC audio going directly to the speaker, and the other with the VAC software engaged and SDRC routing its audio through the virtual cable.  I did notice that I could hear the audio “popping” occurring during the latter session with the VAC.

As another point of information, the audio popping is most noticeable while operating in the non-FM modes.  That is, when the mode is set to AM, SAM, ECSS-L, ECSS-U, CW-L, CW-U, LSB, USB, Wide-L, Wide-U, or DSB, the popping is more noticeable.  However, I can’t really discern any audio popping when tuned to BC-FM, N-FM, or W-FM. 

Also, I disconnected the antenna from the Discovery HF+ when operating in the VAC-piped configuration, such that there was no signal to be processed other than the noise floor white noise.  I could *NOT* hear any popping while using any of the various modes.  The popping only seems to occur when there is an audio signal to pass out through the VAC.

I hope you find this information useful.  Thanks again for such a great program.  Have a great weekend.

Ken

Sent: Friday, January 14, 2022 05:50 PM
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Audio issue on SDR Console

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the ideas.  Just for baseline information, the CPU is an Intel Core i7 7700K running at 4400 MHz.    I have 32 GB of DDR4 RAM running at 1200 MHz.  When running SDRConsole, the total CPU load is around 22-24%, and when ‘idle’ without SDRC the CPU load is about 17-19%.  The CPU indicator at the bottom of the SDRC screen show CPU utilization at about 2.8%.  A screenshot of the CPU load is attached. 

How do I find the logfile for the session?  Where is it located?  Do I actually have to ‘create’ it while running SDRC, or is it created automatically?  Do you want a logfile with SDRC running while on VAC, and another while it is sending output directly to the speakers?  Once I know how and where to get it, I’ll send it to you.

Thanks again.  --  Ken

Sent: Friday, January 14, 2022 03:37 PM

Also,

What is the general CPU load on your computer?

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Simon Brown
Sent: 14 January 2022 20:35

Ken,

A few ideas:

• SDR Console uses WASAPI, the other programs the WDM audio drivers.
  • If the audio is OK via speakers but not over a VAC then it must be the VAC causing the problem, specifically the drivers.
  • Please show the logfile for a session with the VAC – I want to check a few things.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

Join main@SDR-Radio.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.