Re: NDB - Airspy HF+ DIscovery versus Hermes Lite 2

Tom Crosbie G6PZZ

You lucky man Allan!

I almost had one around 1970. It sat at the back of the physics lab and someone had removed all the valves. Couldn’t afford them on pocket money. Never thought of hanging on to it until I started work and could afford it.

That tuning dial was really smooth.

Season’s greetings

Tom G6PZZ

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Allan Isaacs
Sent: 23 December 2021 14:47
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] NDB - Airspy HF+ DIscovery versus Hermes Lite 2

Max.. I’m overhauling a WW2 R1155 and as I tuned across the long wave band a Polish station close to Radio 4 came in at a good S8 about mid day.

I checked on my Andrus SDR with the same aerial and it wasn’t more than a tiny spike with no audible modulation

Admittedly the R1155 has been modified with a 6AK5 RF stage…

Allan G3PIY

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io [mailto:main@SDR-Radio.groups.io] On Behalf Of Max
Sent: 23 December 2021 14:36
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] NDB - Airspy HF+ DIscovery versus Hermes Lite 2

On Thu, Dec 23, 2021 at 12:34 PM, Patrick wrote:

It's indeed surprising.

As a LF enthusiast (chasing NDB for more than 20 years), I can tell the Discovery is one of the most sensitive receiver I have ever used

Hi Patrick

I don't think this shows any issue with the HF+ Discovery, just that the Hermes Lite 2 is a quite astonishing bit of kit for the money. Actually regardless of the cost. Punches way above its weight. I did always think so but this has just confirmed it for me. Unless I have a sub-par HF+? Wonder if you managed to watch my video recordings of the NDB?

Unfortunately I was not able to listen for Grimeton test transmissions today. Listening now but nothing heard so I guess too late to the game. I will be sure not to miss the main TX tomorrow morning.

Max

Join main@SDR-Radio.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.