Re: Basic AGC Question

jdow

Enabling the graph (the right hand button at the top of the AGC pane) gives you a way to visualize what should be happening. Then use the sliders to move it around. The graph shows output level vertically and input level horizontally. The threshold slider controls where the graph bends. The slope is there if  you want to show some modest hint of signal level by making weak signals sound slightly weaker than strong signals. You can set it to zero if you want. Some people like that slope and some don't. Decay is the length of time it takes gain to go to maximum when a very strong signal goes away. Hang is one of the best inventions of the early days of SSB. When it is enabled and a large signal goes away the gain stays constant for say half a second before it starts to increase for no signal. This is nice for gaps between syllables or words.

{^_^}

On 20211207 07:45:15, Simon Brown wrote:

Bob,

• FM does not use AGC
  • For SSB I use Slow
  • For CW I use Medium or Fast.
  • For broadcast AM Slow.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of rmrrgs
Sent: 07 December 2021 13:35
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] Basic AGC Question

Hello,

Have never played with these much, but figure it is about

time I learned how best to utilize them.

Regarding AGC:

For “typical” sw monitoring, do you folks typically use Off, Fast, Med or Slow ?  Why/When ?

If, e.g. Med, could someone explain please how best to optimize, or adjust, the Threshold, Slope, Hang, and Decay.  

I imagine there must be a better and more disciplined way than my merely fiddling with them and trying to hear what sounds best.

Or, most of the time, just leave Off, and just play with the Gain Slider ?

Thanks,
Bob                   Should I have posted this in the other Forum ?

--
- + - + -
Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.

Join main@SDR-Radio.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.