Re: Resolution

Gedas

Sri for the OT reply but I was nodding my head up and down when I read ur post Tom. I still have fond memories of my true IBM PC running at a whopping 4.77 MHz (and cheating by adding my own clock doubler), then when I moved up to the 80286 I remember splurging only $300 for the 287 math co-processor. Wow we were big "stuff" back then when I could run an antenna analysis in half the time that only took 7-8 hours. My how times have changed.

Gedas, W8BYA EN70JT

Gallery at http://w8bya.com
Light travels faster than sound....
On 12/5/2021 1:19 PM, Tom Crosbie G6PZZ wrote:

Allan,

Despite building computers since the 286 and being an IT consultant with MCSE and CCNA qualifications for over 10 years, I would be reluctant to mess around with any flavour of RAID!

I certainly wouldn’t like to try an in place upgrade. I would be making a couple of backups of the data and doing a fresh instal of the OS then restoring the data having rebuilt the RAID.

Fresh installs are a PITA though. The OS is the easy bit. It’s the apps and settings and other hardware that becomes the problem.

You could also try building a totally new PC, leaving the old one as a “server”, accessing your data over your network. Then build a new RAID in the new PC, before copying your data across.

I like to get value for money and my retiring PC was built around 2011. Still works and I may yet drag it out of retirement for another project!

Good luck if/when you upgrade.

Tom G6PZZ