Re: Antennas: Best Mini-Whip ??

Tony_AD0VC

One man's disadvantage is another man's advantage. I make overnight recordings of the NDB band. Omnidirectional is perfect for this. If I use the loop, I eliminate signals in two directions. I have found that directionality is not useful very often for the NDB hobby. Occasionally a storm will be localized such that I can use the loop to minimize it. Occasionally I need to get a bearing on an unidentified signal. Loops can be useful for me which is why I have one. And sometimes the loop is quieter.

Tony

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of Mag loop Simon <ohhellnotagain@...>
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2021 5:04 PM
To: main@sdr-radio.groups.io <main@sdr-radio.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Antennas: Best Mini-Whip ??

Another disadvantage of e probe/ short vertical etc is that they are omnidirectional..( rx 360 degrees, incase i spelt  that wrong.)  where as loops are not, which if say your power line is north of you one can  null it out with a loop. You cant do that with a e probe/ short vertical. ( not they they are bad!)

I don’t have the theoretical knowledge to explain the difference between man made noise and not..but I can see it in my head, just can not put to words.same as i can look at something mechanical  and tell you if it will work or not..dont know why, just can.

Someone else will be able too..awaiting response from said people’s.

Best regards Simon