Re: SDR Console V3 on FTDX101D and a HermesLite2 #sdr-consolev3

TOM - K2TC

Hi Max –

Yea – it’s a blast for sure…

Totally enjoy the SDRCv3 front end to tell you the truth.

I had the FDM-DUO and the HL2 already. The FDM-DUO is my portable as I could operate it by itself. The HL2 is amazing in its own rite. Both work great with SDRCv3.

I had someone interested in some HF rigs I had, so I decided to refresh the station – selling most of the radios I had, and some service equipment to make room and fund the refresh.

I wanted a rig I can turn on – and not tie myself up looking at a PC – the FTDX-101D was my choice. I really love the RX in it. Very happy with it.

I sold off a few other pieces of gear to bring in another SDR rig, so that one will be PC bound – and finish off the refresh.

Im toying around with doing a resto-mod on a TS-850SAT I have. Like to pull the TX/RX deck out, plant an HL2 in it, figure how to play the display in the radio, update the volume controls with the encoders, and use the PA/tuner. This might be a longer term project. Im thinking midi controller for the buttons and encoders – but need to do a lot more research into it. See if its really feasible – or just a never ending project.

If anyone has done something like this – please share your experience!

All in the name of fun!

Tom, K2TC

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Max
Sent: Thursday, September 9, 2021 6:57 PM
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] SDR Console V3 on FTDX101D and a HermesLite2 #sdr-consolev3

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 11:41 PM, TOM - K2TC wrote:

NR on the 101D is really good, NR2 on the HL2 just seems a bit better.

And as you say – every environment is going to be a little different.

Yes, I take all your points. Personally (and each to their own) now I've sampled pure SDR I don't see the point of running two radios in tandem when just the SDR does such a spectacular job. If I was you I'd be ditching the 101 and get a linear for the HL2! Though of course I expect the 101 does some VHF bands as well. For me there's not really any incentive at all to ever buy a "conventional" rig again plus I do get a huge kick out of getting such amazing performance out of a radio that really costs very little like the HL2.

However, having said all that I also hugely enjoy running my old Drake 4C Line radios so that's pretty much two ends of the sophistication spectrum. Room for all in this hobby which of course is the great appeal. Sometimes you just can't beat the heat of some tubes (or valves as we call them over here in the UK) and the blue glow of the Drake dial filters!

I also run an old Microwave Modules transverter (90s version) with the HL2 on 6m and another transverter for 2m (Spectrum) so that's somewhere in the middle ground, but they works OK for me. Just need to cure the drift on the MM unit!

Max

Join main@SDR-Radio.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.