Re: DRM in SDRC?

It’s the audio codec used by DRM / DAB/DAB+. Doesn’t matter whether you use a codec from github or the codec owner you must still pay a licence for every unit shipped as you are using the codec API which is the licenced property. I think the same is true when you ship hardware with a HDMI connector.

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill Walch
Sent: 07 September 2021 21:14
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] DRM in SDRC?

That's unfortunate. I'm guessing that's like your UK TV licensing situation. I've heard stories about the "TV Police" going around the neighborhoods looking for unlicensed TV's. I guess on your end, you could implement DRM/DAB in SDRC, but you'd probably have to show a licensing fee is paid by the end user, which is something that you probably don't want to get into and administer. However, you could still offer your FREE version of SDRC (with the ubiquitous donation keep your pup fed), and a PAID version that has that DRM/DAB function enabled, again, mostly for your UK/EU folks.

On 9/7/2021 3:32 PM, Simon Brown wrote:

Hi,

For a software provider the problem with DRM is  codec licencing, the entity providing the software is responsible for the licence fee, not the end user. An example: ELAD ship a DRM solution and pay a licence for each unit. Same problem with DAB, if you ship or promote a DAB solution you are responsible for the licence.