Re: 3.1 Betas

BobS

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 06:56 AM, Siegfried Jackstien wrote:

if sdrc v3 would be open source (with you as maintainer) ... that would also be nice ... (but i know you will keep it a one man show ... "you are the boss")

Going open-source often means losing control, although that hasn't been the case for the Linux kernel. SDR# is a good example. It was open source, then the developers un-open-sourced it (to use rather inelegant English). SDR# did have its decoding software licensed only under a read-only license. From what I could glean, competitors were taking the source code, forking it, and issuing competing products. I'd hate to see someone making a profit off Simon's code.

When a project is open and collaborative to begin with, open source can work better. For a person to give up not just the intellectual property (and months/years of work) and lose control is a difficult proposition for once the code is out there, the die has been cast.

The best part of SDR Console is that it is a single coder with a single vision. From Simon's posts in this thread, it looks like we're soon to get some sort of live webcam view of people playing golf. Ha! :-)

Bob, W4RLS