Re: 3.1 Betas

Siegfried Jackstien

a circuit diagramm of his software as building blocks ... to better understand what is going on .. yes that would be nice

Having one single person as maintainer and using pull requests (for the other programmers) to add functions (or change small parts) is what we did in the mchf firmware ...

that worked superb (with a dozen "hackers" around the world) ... andreas (df8oe) is/was building new fw and puts them on a download link (similar as simon does when he has a new beta finished) and all programmers can make changes in the fw (and send a pr to github) ..

but i also understand if he want to keep things closed source ... it is HIS BABY :-)

dg9bfc sigi

Am 23.08.2021 um 13:33 schrieb jdow:

That has some good aspects and some bad aspects with the two sets overlapping heavily. Simon would have to learn and practice Linus Torvalds management skills. ("This code looks like s....!") And even then it would wander away from what Simon envisions his legacy to be. It would be nice if the code was setup to become publicly readable but not modifiable without forking the project. Then new front end modules could be built as necessarily yet the main code could be unchanged, for some people, and a springboard for other people.

For myself, I'd be happy with a mid to high level description of the code and signal path through the receiver. What DSP technology did he use to achieve various functionality without delving into the code. "How does a genius do it?" For example it APPEARS that he is taking overlapped FFTs of the whole bandwidth of the front end and creating band pass filters centered on frequencies the user selects for each receiver. One FFT, N windows, and N reverse FFTs, and some other processing before it gets to audio.

{^_^}

On 20210823 03:56:08, Siegfried Jackstien wrote:

if sdrc v3 would be open source (with you as maintainer) ... that would also be nice ... (but i know you will keep it a one man show ... "you are the boss")

the source on github .. and a dozen programmers working together (with you putting the pull requests together to a working exe file) ... similar as what we did for MCHF rig firmware

... i can not do programming (especially not such thngs like sdrc) ... as you know i am more a hardware builder (reason why i did not send you lines of code but a feed)

enjoy the weather ... do some garden (or antenna) work

... or watch the ladies on second tee (big grin)

if you have your feed installed .. please give some (hopefully positive) feedback

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 23.08.2021 um 12:14 schrieb Simon Brown:

I could do lots of things, including:

  • Getting a new POTY installed
  • Getting my 70cms station working
  • Working 2m Tropo
  • Cleaning the gutters on the house
  • Cleaning the house
  • Mowing the lawn
  • Watching the ladies play gold in front of the house (2nd tee)

You could learn the art of software engineering 😊 .

Will be good weather this week.