Re: SNR meter, bandwidth and gain adjustment for transverters

Conrad, PA5Y

Well I disagree, SNR improves as you reduce bandwidth, this is just physics. If the metering does not reflect this then the SNR metering is simply wrong. Just use your ears.

Conrad

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of oldjackbob via groups.io
Sent: 05 July 2021 16:43
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] SNR meter, bandwidth and gain adjustment for transverters

Per the info on Simon's page explaining the operation of the S-meter, "[The signal level] is the peak spectrum FFT bin (output value) which is within the current filter."

That page is found here: https://www.sdr-radio.com/s-meter

Simon explains it clearly. There is no correlation of peak FFT bin value to filter bandwidth (or AGC level, or any other consideration), nor should there be. Any modern SDR-based S-meter that changes its reading based on filter bandwidth is doing it wrong.

I've said it before: Simon got it right, many others are getting it wrong.

Mark