From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob
Dengler
Sent: 05 July 2021 17:26
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] SNR meter, bandwidth and gain adjustment for
transverters

At 7/5/2021 07:43 AM, you wrote:
Per the info on Simon's page explaining the operation of the S-meter, "[The
signal level] is the peak spectrum FFT bin (output value) which is within
the current filter."That page is found here:Â
<https://www.sdr-radio.com/s-meter>https://www.sdr-radio.com/s-meterSimon
explains it clearly. There is no correlation of peak FFT bin value to filter
bandwidth (or AGC level, or any other consideration), nor should there be.
Any modern SDR-based S-meter that changes its reading based on filter
bandwidth is doing it wrong.I've said it before: Simon got it right, many
others are getting it wrong.Mark

I strongly disagree. How else is one supposed to make total channel power
measurements for radiometry? SDRs aren't just for communications, & any
developer that codes their SDR apps otherwise is hamstringing their full
potential. Right now the only apps I know of that can do this are HDSDR &
SDRuno. HDSDR is compatible with all my SDRs so that covers my needs, but
it would be nice if SDRC could display & record average channel power
readings as well as HDSDR is fairly useless for NBFM monitoring (no
de-emphasis).

I'll have to go through the forum archives to see if this has been
requested, & do so if not.

Bob NO6B

Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.