Re: Recordings Stuttering

jdow

It's not an easy subject to wrap your mind around. I'm sure I am not the be all and end all of knowledge here. But, this is a bullet I bit with my first USB toy, a USB 1.1 something that my then USB 1.0 keyboard slowed down. (As you get older you get more and more "it didn't work" or the occasional "it did work" that stick in the mind.)

{^_-}

On 20210704 05:13:33, James Niven wrote:

Thanks, Jdow, I appreciate your insight and knowledge.

So, I feel kind of goofy now. I was curious as to the actual usb ports on desktop computer. On the front there are 2 usb2 black tongue ports, but on the rear of the computer, wait for it…..4 usb3 ports with the blue tongue and 2 usb2 ports with the black tongue.

I did not realize I had these on the rear, it would have saved me a lot of headaches. So, I need to purchase a usb3 hub to allow easy access to plug in my external hard drive with saved sdr console files for playback rather than moving the desktop every time to plugging in my external hard drive. I plugged my external HD into the usb3 port and played my files on sdr console, no problems, no stutter what so ever.

Thanks

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of jdow
Sent: Sunday, July 4, 2021 5:52 AM
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Recordings Stuttering

Depending on what you want to do the "expensive" route is a card with more than one controller on it. By controller I mean a device that speaks to the computer busses directly say via a PCIe socket. I do not mean a controller followed by a hub to split it into for USB 3 sockets. The four controller card I have (closer to $300 than $100) has four controllers so I could in theory have four USB 3.1 transfers going on simultaneously at very near the peak speed capability of the four USB 3.1 busses added together. The limit would be the PCIe bus I believe. With that running a pair of AirSpy R2 devices at full 10 MHz is easy. If OTHER aspects of the computer could support it a pair of R888s at full 64 (or so) MHz wide sets of samples could be processed at the same time. (That might be sufficient to get my computer to roll over and die, though. If not I have disks I could put on the other two USB ports to capture the data. I don't think that would work, especially after the speculative execution slowdowns in the current INTEL kernel downgrades due to security vulnerabilities.)

{^_^}

On 20210704 03:28:39, James Niven wrote:

So, with a little googling, it seems I can add a usb card to my desktop computer with usb3.0 ports, this may be a solution.

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of James Niven
Sent: Sunday, July 4, 2021 5:21 AM

Thanks, but the answer is no according to this article, its based on the port on the laptop/computer to start with.

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/how-do-i-know-if-my-computer-has-usb-3-0-ports/

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of James Niven
Sent: Sunday, July 4, 2021 5:12 AM

Thanks very much jdow, for your very detailed information.

Just a thought, are there adaptors that can plug into a say a usb2 port and convert it to a usb3 port or will there be no difference??

Thanks again

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of jdow
Sent: Saturday, July 3, 2021 9:11 PM

Ah, nope - if you have all USB2 devices on the bus a USB3 port is not a solution except MAYBE in very marginal cases. If the ELAD is USB 3 (blue tongues) then it may make a major difference. (White tongues are USB 2. Wikipedia has at least one article that delineates what the tongue colors mean.)

If the ELAD itself works on USB2 with all the usual "stuff" on USB 2 then a laptop with some USB3 and some USB2 sockets should work a treat.

{^_^}

On 20210703 18:45:53, James Niven wrote:

Hi Nick,

Thanks for this information, I actually forgot how to get to the “write-caching” properties to make sure nothing had changed, thanks for that.

I did set this way back when I brought the external hard drive, I just checked the settings and yep, still good.

It’s funny, I use the same external hard drive on my overnight recordings from Jaguar Pro and have no issues with the recordings.

It only seems to be with SDR Console when recording FM frequencies and store for later playing that I find the stuttering.

It seems to be what Max and Joanne suggest, the usb 2 port, should be usb 3 for better transmission of data.

Thanks

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Nick Hall-Patch
Sent: Saturday, July 3, 2021 6:52 PM
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io; main@SDR-Radio.groups.io

Is this the age-old "write-caching" problem, James?  It snags me every year or two.

Bring up Properties for your drive in (right-click on it in Explorer), Hardware tab, highlight the drive, Properites again,  "Change Settings", Policies.

In Removal Policy, choose "Better Performance", and enable Write Caching.

I hope I'm not stating the obvious, hi.  (just because it's never obvious to me..)

best wishes,

Nick

At 21:17 2021-07-03, James Niven wrote:

Hi Group,

I am trying to work out why my recordings are stuttering on playback when accessing them from an external hard drive.

There seems to be no issue from what I can see when playing them back when I record to c: drive.

So, it appears to be an external drive issue maybe or a setting. I have SDR console version 3.0.28, I am recording the FM band at 6.144mhz bandwidth with my elad s2.

Any tips on what I should look for? I have had this before, but I was never able to fix the issue.

Thanks

James Niven

Austin, Texas

Nick Hall-Patch
Victoria, BC
Canada

Join main@SDR-Radio.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.