Re: SDR Console to PlutoSDR, no TX on one PC, fine on another??

jdow

Network ports on PCs are not interchangeable in general. In some situations it matters but you don't notice it because the difference is hidden behind your router's DHCP server. Other times it seriously matters such as speaking to a Pluto directly from the PC. Get the Ethernet port wrong on the PC compared to working configurations will almost always cause you headaches. Ethernet is NOT USB and USB is not Ethernet. They are not subsets of each other in terms of their base functionality.

Ethernet speaks peer to peer. USB speaks only when the root hub speaks to the specific USB device. So USB polls for data. Ethernet simply processes data that comes in. That difference can cause problems such as what caught you.

{^_^}

On 20210606 02:55:11, Chris Wilson wrote:
Hello Joanne, (got it  right this time) ;)

Sunday, June 6, 2021

It turns out NOT to be anything to do with SDR Console at all, at least as far as I can tell Joanne.

I THINK I have fixed it. A very odd problem. I tried swapping the ethernet cable to a second port on the main satellite PC and suddenly I could transmit again. Why I have no idea.  And why it even has two ethernet ports I do not know, either, one is just marked Ethernet, the other IBM Ethernet. I seem to recall having to load two different drivers for ethernet on this IBM motherboard, too.

The Pluto, pre amp and PA are back outside in a box under the dish, so I can't say if basic USB connection for TX is also working again. I don't want to mess with it :) 

I then swapped the ethernet cable back to he original port on the main PC, and it also worked again there. Maybe the connector plug contacts were tarnished, who knows? 

I would like to know what was going on, as I am concerned it will occur again, but for now all seems OK and I have had two nice contacts on SSB with excellent reports. Bloody computers!!

Thanks for the reply and take care.

Best regards,
 Chris    2E0ILY       mailto:chris@...

j> Show pictures, full size with as much of the       settings as
j> possible showing. Be sure to show both the TX and RX       panes as
j> well as everything else. Your description of the problem      
j> leaves too many things unsaid for Simon. (Does "no TX" mean the TX 
j> pane is not showing? What levels do you have set for microphone     and drive? And so forth.)

j> The forum         (https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/)is
j> (supposedly) the       place to go for quicker help.

j> {^_^}

j> On 20210605 06:29:27, Chris Wilson       wrote:
j>     
j>   
j> 05 June 2021

j> Running SDR Console on two Win 7 64 bit PC's one a laptop, the
j> other a desktop. Both RX'd and TX'd fine to QO-100 using both USB
j> and ethernet connections to a Pluto SDR, locally and remotely.
j> Suddenly no TX at all from the desktop, but RX is fine. A seemingly
j> identically set up SDR Console on the laptop triggers the Pluto to
j> TX fine, via USB or remotely at the dish via ethernet and a USB to
j> ethernet adaptor.  The satellite hears the signal fine. I am
j> testing the Pluto with a pow meter on the output when checking the
j> none working PC, it gives zilch out. Laptop gives expected power. Same cabling used in both tests.

j> I have spent hours on this, reloaded SDR Console, deleted and
j> recreated definitions, everything  can think of. The laptop is old,
j> slow and struggling, but it does work. Can I send a log file from
j> both PC's anywhere please? How best to create them so as to be of
j> most use and relevance? Any words of wisdom as to what else to try please? Thanks!

j>   
j>   
j>         
j>     

Join main@SDR-Radio.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.