Re: Please explain "Satellite position"

Ryan Butler

Dave,

There's no screenshots or information on where you are seeing what you describe so apologies if I am not talking the same thing you are.

In order to calculate an azimuth and elevation as you describe above, you need two points.  One of those is your latitude and longitude and elevation.

The other is the satellite position, the point on the earth that the satellite is directly overhead of at any given time, along with it's elevation.

From those two items, you can calculate an azimuth an elevation.

So I believe the answer is, the 'satellite position' expressed as a lat lon is the point on the ground of which the satellite is directly overhead.

If you're talking about fixed geostationary satellites like TV that talk about a 54 degree East or 54 degree west slot, those are Geostationary satellites and reference their longitude above ground, their latitude is 0 degrees (above the equator).  Their orbit allows them to appear to remain in the exact same spot.

Ryan, NF0T

On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 1:17 PM David Coles <g7gzc@...> wrote:

Please explain “satellite position”.

As a walker I can calculate a compass bearing, aka azimuth.

This is with reference to grid North.

This is then adjusted to magnetic North.

The result is expressed in degrees to a maximum of 360.

However, a satellite position might be given as 54° W, for example.

Sorry, I just don't get it!

Where is it?

I'm okay with elevation.

For information, my location is Latitude 51.445265 and Longtitude -0.345086

Locator JO01EK16

Many thanks Dave G7GZC