Re: FT8 checking my signal

Bill Walch

Bammi,

The original photo shows two Schlocky Diodes (1N5817) in opposite polarities, forming a bi-directional clamp. This is illustrated in the diagram (c) below. The major difference between a typical signal diode (rectifier) is that a Schlocky Diode is extremely fast switching, in the order of uS. You can see datasheet for the 1N5817/8/9 HERE. This diode is rated at 10A maximum Forward rms current. How that relates to induced RF, is unknown to me. However, I would assume that if the Tx and Rx antennas are separated at some distance, the amount of RF energy seen at this clamp should be low enough to prevent damage to the diodes, again, speculation on my part. Hope this helps.

73's, Bill

On 4/4/2021 5:57 PM, bammi via groups.io wrote:
Circuit and Diode type and model would help me understand how it is working. The picture is not speaking a thousand words unfortunately :-)

73 de k1jbd
bammi