Re: Digital Anyone?

jdow

ALE tries to make radio look a lot like a telephone with a network control sort of paradigm. In order to make communications as reliable as possible. So soundings are sent out and other stations listen switching channels fairly rapidly to listen for the soundings. When establishing a link the calling station looks to its log of recent soundings received and selects the strongest one, which is generally no more than an hour old. So there is no hunting around for a workable frequency. Since it is designed for regional communications, 200 miles or so radius, propagation knowledge is usually valid if any stations are heard. So a link can generally be made first try. Once the link is established a short message something like "up 10 kHz USB" is exchanged and they move off frequency to transfer messages. Since the network covers pretty much all of HF a wide band radio with several receivers, such as SDRC manages, each with an ALE sounding demodulator listening can potentially make the communications more reliable.

I realize that's a little tagngled. "http://hflink.com/alehamradio/" has a good description of what is going on. Bonnie has been at this a whole lot. Mostly I am watching it be adapted to amateur radio, particularly with an EMCOM service model in mind. Brian Lloyd, WB5BL, has used this mode with some success both on his around the world flight and EMCOM work in the Caribbean.

Steve N2CKH is the author of PCALE and MARSALE, the more or less canonical ham and MARS oriented implementation. It's useful; but, his implementation is a bit difficult to setup for many people.

{^_^}

On 20210304 20:32:51, Simon Brown wrote:

Why?

What sort of thing would I see?

I don’t know much about ALE, educate me.