Re: Kriss's Great Servers

Brian Morrison

On Tue, 2021-02-23 at 11:28 +0000, G4UMW wrote:

I spent nearly 30 years as a simulator engineer, working for airlines, training providers and a sim manufacturer. We were kept busy with the sims being used for type conversion, recurrent training (each pilot does 2 x 4 hour sim slots every 6 months) and engineering training (engine ground runs etc). It’s nice to think that good synthetic training might have played a part in the successful outcome of the recent incident.

I hope so. It's just a pity that the people who do the Thermal Acoustic Inspection on the fan blades didn't assume that the problem areas they saw were down to bad paint application before the test process, the failed blade from 2018 had been TAI'd in 2010 and 2015 and shown abnormal results on both occasions (worse in 2015 too) but was passed safe for flight and put back in service, 3 years later it failed half an hour out of Honolulu (same route) at ToD.

One other small amusement, the incident aircraft this weekend was N772UA, its replacement used for the delayed flight was N773UA which was the aircraft which had the No2 engine failure in February 2018 as a result of this testing inadequacy.

Now, back to radio.

--

Brian   G8SEZ