Re: Signal strength puzzle

Allan Isaacs

The meter settings are the same on the Win 7 and Win 10 computers Don.

73 Allan

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io [mailto:main@SDR-Radio.groups.io] On Behalf Of Don Moman VE6JY
Sent: 03 November 2020 16:14
To: main@sdr-radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Signal strength puzzle

Differences in S meter readings  can happen if you have one S meter set to average or rms, and the other to peak reading...

On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 8:11 AM Tom Crosbie G6PZZ <tom@...> wrote:

Alan,

I’m not familiar with the Andrus. My only thought might be latency in the network, but that’s probably clutching at straws. Can you bypass the second switch and see if it makes a difference?

I can’t think why it should but I’ve seen latency problems but only on much bigger networks operating at the limit of several CAT5 cable lengths with switches in between. Perhaps you have a rogue peripheral on the network?

I wondered if one computer is measuring the incoming signal at a slightly different point in the signal strength variation, e.g. is AGC making a difference? Although 198 is normally rock solid.

Have you tried looking at other stations and on other bands to see if the same phenomenon exists?

I can’t think what else could be causing this.

Good luck!

73

Tom G6PZZ