Re: Signal strength puzzle

Allan Isaacs

Hi Tom

I tried removing the switch in my workshop and feeding the SDR directly to the incoming CAT5 cable from my office (about 80 feet)

The office computer gave me the same results as before with the workshop switch in place

198KHz          -63dBm

252KHz          --84dBm

234KHz          -90dBm

60KHz            -107dBm

I then connected the SDR directly to the workshop computer, results the same as before

198KHz          -49dBm

252KHz          -71dBm

234KHz          -74dBm

60KHz            -95dBm

I then put back the workshop switch and used a second Windows 10 computer in the workshop.

Results exactly the same as the first 198KHz -49dBm etc

I haven’t tried bypassing the office switch yet because it’s in a rats nest of cabling, and a router plus the switch (the latter is brand new and carries two network cameras as well as a printer, the workshop CAT5 cable and a couple other cables not being used).

I’m a bit puzzled. I imagine the CAT5 cable from the SDR carries digital signals to the SDR program so should get decoded exactly the same in two computers. The only difference is I’m using Win 10 in the workshop and Win 7 in the office.

I’ll dig out a Win 7 laptop next and try that. Surely something must account for over 20dB difference in signals??

All signals are solid and changing AGC has no effect on the readings

I have 4 gain settings. On 60KHz the -30dB gain gives -113dBm, -24dB gain gives -107dBm, -12dB shifts the base line down about 10dB with the signal still -107dBm and 0dB gain shifts the baseline down another 10dB with the signal at -108dBm.

Allan G3PIY