From: David Hopkins [mailto:davhop@...]
Sent: Wednesday, September 9, 2020, 12:53 AM
Subject: [SDR-Radio] Off Topic - Antenna Design Software

Brian,
Have a look at :-

The program is based on the work of DL6WU, The farther of amateur Yagi antennas.

David

On 2020-09-09 10:54 am, Brian Howell wrote:

I am thinking about designing and building a Yagi antenna for 54.310 MHz, I don't need much gain, just a simple 3 element antenna.  I have asked around and have been referred to a few online calculators for Yagi design.  Today I found a pretty good Excel calculator http://on5au.be/content/a10/trans/ant-design.html  that is not just a cookie cutter calculator like the online versions which is better but I would also like to be able to see the radiation pattern and SWR graphs.

I tried for many hours on Monday to design the Yagi in 4NEC2 because it has a CAD type interface for creating the antenna, which I like but it still leaves a lot to be desired.  I got hung up on running the optimizer, it was asking for variables but they were blank and I have little idea of what I should put in there.  I found a couple of online tutorials but They did little explaining on the ins and outs of the variables that is supposed to be entered into the program.

I did a lot of searching online today for an easy to use program, I guess with my getting older, my brain is hardening a lot more than it use to because I am having a lot of trouble to orient my thinking to be able to use even 4NEC2.  All of the "free" programs are difficult, not user friendly, or just won't run on Windows 10.

Today I found a program called PCAAD 7.0.  http://antennadesignassociates.com/pcaad7.htm  I couldn't find any reviews for it, The user manual has some explanation on how the software works but I would have to buy it in order to really try it. At $549 it is a bit steep, however it "appears" easy to use and covers a lot of different antenna types, including Yagi type.  So my question is: Does anyone have any knowledge of this program? or has anyone used it before?  Is it really easy to use?  And does it do a really good job?

Thanks,

Brian Howell

--
Definitely not sent from an I-Phone