Re: Easiest/cheapest way to 6m/2m/70cm?

Tom Crosbie G6PZZ

Max

“…2m and 70cms I have a little nostalgia for because used to go out portable for VHF NFD with my local club. High locations and 4CX250B linears….”

Now that wipes away the COVID 19 Cobwebs and brings back memories of VHF NFD’s in the early 80’s on top of the Wrekin.

I was quite active on 2m/70cms SSB I those days home and /P. I used to enjoy playing with antennas and the home station included a MET 14 ele on 2m and a pair of MET 17s stacked for 70cms.

I’ve not owned/used a TCVR for many years, partly because I can no longer afford the gear and can’t get up ladders to play with antennas. It was bad enough having to pay someone to put up the SWL antennas I do have. So it back to the hobby that started me off five and half decades ago. I see a lot of callsigns in SWL circles these days. Do we all go back to our roots?

73 Tom G6PZZ

Nr Chesterfield | NE Derbyshire | UK | IO93he

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Max
Sent: 31 May 2020 16:19
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Easiest/cheapest way to 6m/2m/70cm?

Hi Paul

Just want to get active on those bands in a casual way, nothing cutting edge, but I don't like operating compromised kit. So for example since I have had my HL2 I don't use my RSP2Pro on HF at all because I really do not like the lukewarm performance on HF, but conversely I am not looking for the last drop of DX performance on the new bands either. Just some kit that works competently but not necessarily the bleeding edge of performance.

I have only really managed to come back to radio after a long break for 40 years of heavy work load and also unsuitable QTHs, and when I first started in 1976 my parent's QTH was low in a valley and VHF/UHF was out of the question. I'm now in a great all-round QTH with space for antennas so the kid in me is coming out, wanting to play on bands that were previously out of the question for me. Special interest in 6m as I have read much but never operated. Back in my day it was off the agenda anyway because the band was used by broadcast BBC TV stations here in the UK 

2m and 70cms I have a little nostalgia for because used to go out portable for VHF NFD with my local club. High locations and 4CX250B linears. Good fun. No, I'm not going to be using that sort of power this time around!

So in answer to your question, I guess you would call it casual use but with reasonable performance for a little DX now and then.

Max

On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 03:17 PM, paul newcombe wrote:

Can I ask what you want to do on the higher bands?  It is very relevant in deciding the route to take.

Paul N2EME

Join main@SDR-Radio.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.