Re: Mute audio

Joe W4WT

HI Simon,

Let me explain what I'm doing and it will make more sense.  I am working linear satellites.  I am using SDRC (attached to an Rsp1a) as the downlink receiver for several reasons.  The antenna of the Rsp1a is attached to the downlink antenna.  I don't want to hear myself other than at the start of the pass to make sure I'm on frequency.  Listening to oneself and trying to talk when there is a noticeable delay is a bit much for an old guy like me.  Thus the desire for the mute function.  I use SatPC32 to control my radio and have DxLab Commander linked to it via DDE.  This allows DxLab to get both the satellite name and satellite mode automatically which are needed for a valid satellite qso as well as frequency information.  DxLab Commander is set up to use it's secondary port to control SDRC's frequency and mode via SDRC's CAT serial port function.

All of this works perfectly and automatically (I love automation).  SDRC follows the radios VFO in this scenario allowing me to have a great panadapter and waterfall all following SatPC32's tracking.  The only thing missing is a mute line that I can actuate with the keying line from the rig.  Auto mute won't work in this scenario.  I use VOX and a boom mic/headset for handsfree operation.  This leaves my hands free to type in callsigns and log contacts and tune the VFO as needed.  This setup works about as well as I could hope for, other than the mute, but as I mentioned above, I can rig up a relay to handle it.

Hope that helps explain things,

Joe W4WT