How to set up SDRC as a Server, a step by step guide on setting up the computer to be used as a server

Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU

Choose the computer that will host the SDR(s) and make it have a Static IP so the IP will not change with power interruptions or rebooting of constant WIndow's updates. This is done under the
Ethernet Adapter's Properties. You want the IPV4 to have an IP that's NOT in use by any other static IP device. Most people go up in the low 200's, I happen to choose 192.168.1.191 so it will be sequential to my other server(s):

Once that is all entered and OK'ed, you will have to unplug the Ethernet cable temporarily and then plug it back in. The computer should now be on the new IP address.
To check, run CMD in the start window and type in "IPCONFIG" at the command prompt.

In my photo below, you can see where in the automatic mode, my router assigned 192.168.1.51 to the computer. After the re-connection of the Ethernet cable,
it changed to the fixed IP of 192.168.1.191  You can now close out the dark CMD prompt window.

Now it's time to fire up the Server Manager, which I drag and drop onto the desktop from the SDR-Radio.com (V3) file folder on your hard drive for quick and easy access. Once on your desktop, click on it and lets begin the setting up. As the instructions say, at least ONE entry must be in the Accounts Tab. I will concentrate on setting up a Public Server, one for any and all users on the web to access, so lets create a Public User Account entry. This will be the account settings for the general public, as such, I set a one hour limit, and a five minute interval between sessions. This 5 minute break allows OTHER users to access the server. If you build an entry for yourself or friend, you can set longer sessions and no interval... what ever floats your boat!

The MOST important part in this tab is the Username and Password used for the guest account, you will need the EXACT spelling and case for a later entry. It doesn't have to be a complicated password, I just happen to use the defaults from V1.5 years ago:

The next tab to fill out is the Radios Tab. By now you have probably already used SDRC with your local SDR radio, so the drivers are already installed,
and the SDR works under SDRC 100%. If not, get SDRC working properly with your radio(s) to be used first! For this demonstration, I am entering an
Airspy R2 into server usage by searching for the mfg and model of SDR. If it's connected and drivers OK, it should appear, and hit Save. Repeat if you have
more than one SDR to be placed in server service. Here's my one entry for the example:

The Firewall Tab is skipped, NO entries at this time unless you have an abusive user such as a user occupying your server for hours every day.

The Network Tab is where you enter the inbound port number, open a Windows Firewall Port, and apply compression to a set maximum upload bandwidth.
So in the image below, I have set my inbound port to 50104 from the default of 50101 because that port is already in use for another server. The port in
Windows Firewall has to be added and refreshed so it is enabled!
Bandwidth on the LAN can be set to maximum of the installed SDR, or thereabouts, so I chose 1MHz. More importantly is the WAN setting, how much bandwidth
does your ISP provide? Use any one of the broadband speed test sites to check your upload speed. In a household situation, you do not want to use all your
upload bandwidth for the server, save some for yourself, spouse, kids, dog, etc. Currently at a 200kHz bandwidth, this one server will occupy 3.6MB/s out of my
50MB/s upload speed, easy peasy! But this is just one radio out of one server at my house, it can add up quickly, especially those who chase WB FM DX on the
SDRPlays. The max number of connections at the bottom sets how many connections (radios) one specific user (same IP Address) can use. This one is set for
1 since currently only has one radio for now. But I do like to test SDR's and the connected antenna(s) side by side via the server, so I normally place a 2 there.
This prevents ONE user from accessing ALL the servers and not allowing others to access, which is why I place a 5 minute time between sessions in the guest
account!

The Welcome text describes your station in detail and is accessible once a user is connected:

When a user is connected, they can pull up the information entered by the Home tab, Server Options, station:

Next tab is the On Air Tab, click on Enable at the top, and skip down to the Default Server Account. Do NOT CHANGE the On-Air Server (Upload) data!
In the Default Server Account, enter the EXACT username and password as previously entered into the guest account in the Accounts tab.
Place your call sign and Make/Model of SDR in the Station Description, this helps users choose the server. For example, I like HF and don't want to listen to VHF on an RTL820T Dongle at some remote server. If I were a satellite operator, I wouldn't connect to an SDR-iq server since the max frequency is only 30MHz!
IP address can be left blank, but since my IP changes once a month, I use a DYDNS service and I entered it there.
Lat/Long can be entered by using your gridsquare out to 8 places if you wish, I entered FN42mw and the server converts it to decimal degrees, with the appropriate +/- sign.

The bottom part I have entered my QRZ.com page, antenna used, location, and comments. This data appears on the server list on SDR-Radio.com or more easily
at http://onairv3.sdrspace.com/onair-v3.xml which allows users to scan the active, inactive, and broken servers and get an idea where users are listening. As an
SDRC Server Sys Op, I have this bookmarked in Chrome, so I can quickly see the status of all my servers in a split second. No scrolling down the SDR-radio.com
website to get to it.

Once all data is entered, hit the Save button at the top:

Lastly, the Service needs to be installed, click on the Service Tab.
The default settings are good to go if you want the server to run in the background when ever the computer is started. You only
need to run the Server Manager if you need to make changes or if you want to see who is using it, what frequency, what bandwidth, etc in
Connections tab.
Hit Install, then hit Start and after 15 seconds, the  On-Air_Status at the very bottom will have a green check mark, a time stamp of startup
time and the letters OK. Providing you have opened the proper port in router and have it forwarding to the proper IP address, and all associated
firewalls and antivirus software allowing users to access the server from the outside world.

Information on Port Forwarding in your router is next!

73 Kriss KA1GJU