Re: S Meter #poll

Nicholas Shaxted

Based on many years work designing, ahem, “commercial” displays I would expect NOT to see any Purple or Lime Green used in the colouring scheme.

A large amount of Full White is also distracting and tiring.

Nature’s colours and restraint being the order of the day and prioritizing through colour the items you wish to be displayed.

Obviously font choice is another matter.

Nick – g4ogi

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io On Behalf Of Simon Brown via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 6:22 AM
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] S Meter

Very, very good points.

There are some good Android compass apps (and I’ve written one for Windows). This type of display is interesting, when I have time I may investigate further as it could also be used for more than just the signal strength, for example it could also show noise, history etc.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark Cayton
Sent: 16 September 2019 19:46
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] S Meter

Analog.  It's significantly easier to read at a quick glance, and in fact doesn't even need to be directly looked at to get useful info (peripheral vision is our friend).  That's why race cars use analog gauges - the driver is so busy with other demands on his attention that he really doesn't have time to spend absorbing (and deciphering) digital data...a quick glance tells him within a couple of percent all of the info he's looking for, without having to precisely correlate any particular needle to any particular scale.

If I recall, Corvette experimented for a very short time with digital speedometer and tachometer but quickly abandoned that path.  It just took too much mental focus for the driver to decipher the data when lots of other things were demanding his attention.

Every aircraft instrument panel has analog gauges, I can't think of any that only have digital readouts. Lol, what a nightmare that would be in a high-workload situation!

For those who are complaining that an analog gauge takes up too much room, I have no idea what they're complaining about because nearly every other radio ever made all have an S-meter somewhere on the front panel, and our "front panel" effectively consists of a full-size monitor offering much more usable real estate than any previous generation radio.
--
Mark  K1LSB

Join main@SDR-Radio.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.