Re: Antenna & tuner

vincent

Thank You, your knowledge is always appreciated. Good evening to you.

Vincent

On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 6:14 PM jdow <jdow@...> wrote:
For lightning I'd visit Home Despot and get a copper rod about 3/8" to 1/2" with
thicker preferred. I got an 8' rod and kept about 6" to 1 foot above ground.
It's right outside the window grounding the feed lines. (Yeah, we get SOME
lightning here - one or two "thunder-drizzles" a year. So all I did was put a
dribble of water on the baked hard dirt over night. That got the area muddy
enough the rod slipped in. As it dried out the rod became nicely stuck in the dirt.

Now, if I wanted to go overboard I'd have used a post hole drill to build an 8'
deep hole, support the rod in the center about 1' up from the bottom, fill it
with rocks and sand and magnesium or copper sulphate, dribble in a bit of water
for to establish a solution, and you have a long term god ground that won't
corrode away as fast as it might without the careful preparation.

There is a LOT of information on the web about ground rods. Most of it looks
useful. Over the top solutions are not usually required. However, in Dallas and
mid/south Florida it is impossible to go overboard.

For the cheap antenna it might perform better for you without a super good ground.

{^_^}