Re: Antenna & tuner

vincent

Joanne
what do you advise for a good ground? a metal rod drive 6' into the ground? Some of us that live in developments were you have to be very careful in regard to gas and power pipes. what would you suggest?

Vincent

On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 3:44 PM jdow <jdow@...> wrote:
I repeat - for starting out there is something really nice to be said for a <
$10 roll of bell wire strung out oh even 20' to even 200' from your point of
entry on your house near the radio. If you get lightning storms add in a
lightning arrestor just outside the window. Put a GOOD ground on the arrestor.
(Perhaps as simple as a plastic box with some 1" wide strips of copper cut to
points at one end. Connect wire and ground to their respective strips of copper.
Screw the copper down with a 1/8" or so gap between them. Use HEAVY wire down to
the ground and make it a good ground. And even with that you want to disconnect
the antenna when there is lightning around.

The performance of this simple and more importantly dirt cheap antenna will be
within shooting range with a spitwad of anything else you can do at anything
near that price. For some things it will outperform $200 toys.

{^_^}