Re: OS Choice Question

Augusto <hb9tza@...>

That's simply how BG made tons of money, Allan ...
far better OSs are not so widespreaded, nor so profitable.
They are only confined to hi-niche systems for tech or professionals.
Mass-people uses MS, not others, better or whatever they could be: mass is mass.
Amen.

Il 10/07/2019 10:47, Allan Isaacs ha scritto:

A few points worth mentioning.
It takes ages to get comfortable with any version of Windows and change is
something most people don't like, but progress is a fact of life and company
profits need to be maintained... hence MS will continue to roll out new
operating systems in order to keep their staff busy and cash rolling in.
One option open to MS is to stop selling and move to renting. This has
already happened to most anti-virus software. MS programmers can be directed
to force the operating system to become dependent on a valid annual license.
Remember how Win 7 users were hijacked to Win 10 by a surreptitious update
for users not taking up the free offer?
Maybe Win 10 will follow the same pattern? Maybe a free one years licensed
upgrade to Win 11 perhaps made to sound exciting by giving it a proper name?
A couple of days ago my (customers) three brand new systems built from brand
new Win 10 DVDs started updating. After a few hours a message popped up to
the effect that my version of Win 10 would be no longer supportable in the
near future (the usual veiled threat) and I was obliged to update to 1903.
1903 does seem to be slightly better for example it suggests updates can be
scheduled although only hours after the rather long-winded update I notice
there's yet another update marked on the restart button. The job creation
scheme is alive and well.
Allan G3PIY