Re: i5 SFF Desktop / CUDA / VINTAGE THINKINGS

Augusto <hb9tza@...>

It's a pity Simon,
you should switch your old PC on, time to time, to keep it sound!

And OK for the VAX station, the last I used had been an Alpha Station.

But also the LSJ based one, when compared to these times MS and Intel, seemed a Star-Trek object ...
Should not the Digital having serious soft-protection, I would have bought an Alpha surplus one after retiring, and run our VMS Custom these times Software.
A beautiful and powerful Graphic Petri Automa Network development system, 7 layer nesting among automas nets. Really powerful!

But its licence was really toooo expensive, to be only a joke of an old retired ex engineer ... HI HI .
So I go on with Intel and Microsoft, and sometimes look at my old BBC-b, lying in his Acorn original box like a coffin ...

Time goes on like a caterpillar digging our lives. HI.
73 ,
         Augusto

( Jan 1943 issued. Began with tubes, but not yet ended. By now with CPUs)

Il 04/07/2019 12:56, Simon Brown ha scritto:

What?

Sounds just like my 1996 first Windows PC which I still have – it’s up in the attic! It cost so much I can’t bring myself to throw it out, even though it’s not been used for at least 20 years!

And the first computer when I started coding for myself rather than being a wage slave is still in use – a VAX station 3100!

All that money, where did it go?

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Allan Isaacs
Sent: 04 July 2019 11:22
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] i5 SFF Desktop / CUDA

Things never stand still do they Bob.. otherwise the manufacturers would go out of business.

I remember building a “state of the art” computer donkeys years ago. It had a mind-numbing 133MHz Socket 7 processor and the RAM was £1 per Meg.

The customer managed to raise enough cash for 132Meg and an enormous 500MB hard drive with a new fangled IDE interface completed the package.

Windows 95 came on a box full of 3.5 inch floppies.

I still have the hard drive from customer’s older IBM machine, a Seagate ST-406, 5MB.

Allan G3PIY

Join main@SDR-Radio.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.