Re: Excessive Distortion with RTL_SDR dongle #rtl #sdrconsolev3

Siegfried Jackstien

you switched to wfm ... but you have to switch to bfm (broadcasting fm) to hear local stereo fm stations

in wfm you do not have the needed bw available that you have to use for broadcasting stations on 88-108 megs

try with bfm and you will have clear audio (plus stereo and rds decode)

hth

dg9bfc sigi

ps you would like it even more if you would have a lime or pluto and work over eshail ... grin

Am 20.03.2019 um 06:29 schrieb williamfitchturner@...:

SDR Console Version: 3.0.6
SDR HW: SRL-SDR.com V3 dongle (RTL2832U)
Computer: Lenovo Thinkpad, Windows 10
Default BW: 2.4 MHz

I recently installed SDR Console and I really like the interface. So far, it seems to have everything that I like about SDR# but it's way cleaner and less fiddly. It even has support for satellite tracking! Unfortunately, the audio that I get from the software when listening to FM sounds super overdriven. It sounds like the gain is turned up all the way all the time. I messed around with the gain feature in the setup page before realizing that it only provides an offset for the graphs and doesn't adjust the sound at all. I've tried turning the gain all the way down and it still sounds distorted, just a little bit quieter. AGC on/off doesn't seem to make a difference either. When I adjust the gain, the spectrum and waterfall plots scale down accordingly but, the volume indicator on the top left still shows that the signal is peaking constantly (see picture).

I have updated all drivers/software/OS on my laptop. I've tested SDR# and GNURadio and they both work really well. GQRX seems to have a different issue related to the VB-Cable software; not sure what that's about. At any rate, I this problem seems to only be affecting SDR Console. I can't seem to figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks