Re: New laptop : advice needed

Larry Dodd

I agree Siegfried. I’ll take an i7 desktop over any laptop. More flexibility, reliability, and choices. I understand the desire for portability that a laptop offers. For serious computer power especially for 24/7 operation a new desktop rules IMO.
Larry K4LED

On Jan 11, 2019, at 11:29 AM, Siegfried Jackstien <siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

and these beasts start at 2.5 k bucks .... hmmmm

what a stationary pc could i buy for 2.5k??

an i9 ... with 16 gig ram, 256gig ssd 3000gig second drive .... graphics nvidia 2080... in a nice watercooled case .... and i may have some hundreds left for a nice 4k screen

but that will be one of the "slower" i9 with 8x3600megs clock (around 2.2k euros)

for around 5k euro you already can get an i9 with eighteen cores!!!! ... and with 64 gig ram

i am sure you can not overload such a beast with a few sdr setups

maybe with an xtrx octoboard (close to 1 gig bandwidth ... exactly 8x120 megs)

i do not need such a big bw or such a fast pc

(but if you wanna give it to me for free i would take it hi hi)

dg9bfc sigi

Am 11.01.2019 um 15:49 schrieb erik@...:
Hi,

I mod laptops in my sleep, so to speak.

NOTHING matches warranty like Dell, not nowhere. If that is important to you, then the Precision line with ECC RAM is your game for professional work, and Alienware for all else.

I suggest you get the most CPU you can get:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-gaming-laptops-and-notebooks/new-alienware-area-51m-gaming-laptop/spd/alienware-17-area51m-laptop

You can put 9900K in that. My buddy & I overclocked (reliably) our rigs, and his IPC (instructions per clock - though I expect you know this,sorry) beat me out for 8% with full custom water-cooled, AX1500i etc, and I pulled three power stations' current doing the same.

Dell won't pull an 'Acer' on you & expire your warranty when you open your rig for whatever reason. They state this unequivocally.

They come next business day (with parts).

The idea with this laptop is - if its electrically & physically compatible with MXM format - you are going to get more upgrades in future.

Whilst the first 1070Ms launched in that funny Dell format (DGD?), the standard MXM sizes came out later (as we expected), and now my AW18 rocks one. This is far from the first laptop I've done similar with.

Up to 30% GPU with SDR Console and Ettus B210....CPU, not so much lower perf mode ~13% high perf mode <9%.

Me.