Re: Solar Eclipse and Weather Sats

Joe Puma

Very interesting idea. Its probably NOAA satellites I have a set up that I can receive them pretty well. I'll have to check all of the trying to see if there will be any in my area during the eclipse.

Joe
KD2NFC

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 11, 2017, at 10:44 AM, dwight_talley <dwight_talley@...> wrote:

I lived in Stuttgart Germany during the Solar Eclipse of Aug 11, 1999.  Tour companies brought people from all over Europe to see this event. (charged them a lot of money also).  But being it was a typical day there, clouds covered the event and only cleared afterwards.  By chance a weather sat was overhead at the same time and I was able to watch the shadow of the eclipse move across the landscape and clouds.  I cant remember if it was a Russian weather sat or an American one but they operated in the 137 mhz range.

Might be a good project to try to see what you can receive of the event using the different SDR software programs that are available.

Dwight